Labradors Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya

As usual im asking a daft question.

Relating to training is it easier to train a dog that is say a 1 year old as it has matured , able to concentrate longer or a 3 month old puppy.

But i suppose would it be harder to break an older dog from a bad habit.

The reason i ask, is supposing you wished to get your dog to stay, due to a puppy wishing to play most of the time where's an older dog should be a bit steadier would it indeed be easier to achieve or could it be more stubborn

Hope as always its not a daft question

thanks again

gary

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
no easy answer as each dog is so different - but plenty of rescue dogs can be trained to a good standard.......................

you work with (teach) with what you have - whatever the age

G

·
I would say Puppies are far easier to train than older dogs, purely because once they realise learning is fun (if you make it fun that is) then they can't get enough of it and soak it up like a sponge. They learn sooo fast in the early stages too, just like young children learning a new language.

I tend to think of a puppy as like a blank sheet, all you have there are instincts, no bad habits, no learned avoidance behaviours, just a huge desire to please. Of course this desire to please us stems from it pleasing them (If I'm a good boy, I get a treat/fuss...I like treats/fuss :D ).

So yes you can teach an Old Dog New Tricks but if you start young, they learn much quicker, are much more willing, they learn that learning is Fun and you have no undesirable learned behaviours to override. :D

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
I would not think a 1 year old would be too hard to train, or retrain out of any bad habits. Labs love to please, and learn new things. At the age of 1, They are very food oriented. Plenty of treats, and praise, they will do anything.

As for consentration. I have a 1 year old. Some days its good, some days bad. You can never tell what sort of mood he is in.

I take it, you are thinking of taking on an older dog. I would go for it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have a rescue dalmatian that I took on at 15 months old and he was a dream to train.
I think he loved the attention / interaction and also he thrived with finally having some consistency and boundaries. He learnt so fast!
I have never trained a puppy so don't have a comparison though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello

I have a 5 month old pup that I've had since he was 8 weeks old. I did a wee bit of training pretty much every day - and still do and its worked, he is really good - still learns really quickly and just wants to keep learning.

I have recently rescued an 18 month old girl - she has to be the cuddliest, cutest girl ever, however her heel and lead work were quite poor - I had muscles in my arms that a power lifter would be proud of. However, after only two weeks I have seen an improvement in her lead work, her recall is also coming along nicely and I'm introducing whistle commands slowly but surely and she's getting there. It's early days but she does have 18 months of bad habits and doing as she pleases to get over. I find however that before I do any training with her that if I let her run for a few minutes to get rid of any excess energy she is far more responsive - oh and a pocket full of liver treats works wonders too !

Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts