Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, am trying to discover more about my 10 wk old lab pups bloodlines. He isn't KC reg (wasn't a problem as we only wanted him as a family pet) I have a 3 gen pedigree that he came with and was wondering if anyone is familiar with any of the names or are able to provide additional names to his pedigree. They are as follows:

sire: BRYN DAFYDD SON OF EDGAR, dam: CWTCH CWTCH, grandparents (sire's side) EDGAR BRIGADIER, ROUNDER SUNNY QUEEN, grandparents (dam side) ALANWOOD ODDSMAKER, BRIGHT GOLDEN MOONBEAM, great grandparents (sire' side) SPIKE OF CHANOOKA, MIKEDAWN PURE DELIGHT, AWELON ROYALISH FRED, SHARON ELAINE, great grandparents (dam side) GREENWORTH ODDS AGAINST, ALANWOOD LADY JAZMINE, ROSSACRE TEDDY EDWARD, DREAMING DIVA.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone has to offer.

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
:( why wasn't he KC registered? as both his parents are :(

KC registration isn't so much about whether you want a pet / show / working dog - but more to do these days with the likelihood of the parents having undergone some health tests.

A shame because there are some nice breeding lines there.

have you taken out insurance on him?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RE SUE 51 QUESTION

Hi, when I asked the breeder about KC reg she just said that she hadn't intended on registering the litter despite both parents being reg. Admittedly some people would have reservations but we had already fallen in love with the little bundle and his mum seemed healthy. We were provided with family hip/eye scores etc. We had him vet checked ourselves after purchase (despite being sold as vet checked) and all was well. I know this doesn't offer a 100% guarantee against future problems (alas my cat who is GCCF registered has had numerous problems despite my careful research into breeders and adhering to purchase guidelines) so all my pets (inc the latest arrival) are insured.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think we have Leons brother Harvey. whats your e-mail address so we can compare as they are going to be the best comparisons in terms of weight size health etc.

We weren't that concerned about him not being kc registered either he is going to be a family pet and we dont intend on breeding with him. Parents health scores seem very good and the mother was healthy and had a lovely temperament.

We would also like to know a bit more about the breeding lines he has come from so if anyone has any info that would be great. Is he a more field/working bred dog or are there some show lines in aswell?

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
The problem is through not being KC registered - there is technically no verification that the breeding lines are correct :(

Also, I am intrigued how you can verify the mother doesn't have dodgy hips or not had surgery on her elbows - or isn't suffering from HC just by looking at her :( - because you cannot detect any of those things other than by using the KC / BVA health testing schemes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well fingers crossed he'll be ok!

Despite not being able to verify 100% that the breeding lines are correct are there any ways of determining from the names of the family what kind of line he is likely to be from?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi. message here for emmaholden01. Have sent you a personal message but if you can't access it (I see that you're not yet a subscriber) then my email is [email protected] (created in homage to my pet rabbit Zebedee - naive!) Please be in touch as would be great to share experiences of our sibling pups as well as unite in our quest for further background info.

All the best, look forward to hearing from you

Kimberley xx

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Cracking pup. You treat bags going get bigger :wink: :D

Just abit worried about the lead on him, Was that to stop him running all over?

Is he on it when your not there?

Regards Pam

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No if we're out anywhere or overnight he goes in his crate and we take the lead off. During the day when we are home we keep the lead on him so as if for example he heads off in hot pursuit of the cat we can just put a foot on the lead and stop him in his tracks. It also helps to reinforce commands if he's into something he shouldn't or biting etc we can just tug him away on the lead and tell him no.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No when I say 'tug' I don't mean yank him away to break his neck! Merely 3 short tugs on the lead whilst telling him no to get him away, often from things that could cause him harm (a house plant for example) Leon's trainer has advised me to do this (her dogs are fantastic and superbly behaved) and it seems preferable to a lot of methods I have read about on here

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
I've had a look on the Kennel Club Health Test Database for you, which you can also do here: http://www.the-kennel-club.org.uk/services/public/health/search/Default.aspx

and found the following hipscores for dogs in your pedigree. Where it says N/A it means no hip scores available. This could well be because the dog wasn't health tested, or sometimes the data hasn't been logged or that the spelling of the name isn't quite right :wink: but you can check yourself :)

sire: BRYNDAFYDD SON OF EDGAR, N/A
dam: CWTCH CWTCH, N/A

grandparents (sire's side)
EDGAR BRIGADIER, 10
ROUNDER SUNNY QUEEN, N/A

grandparents (dam side)
ALANWOOD ODDSMAKER, N/A
BRIGHT GOLDEN MOONBEAM, 11

great grandparents (sire' side)
SPIKE OF CHANOOKA, N/A
MIKEDAWN PURE DELIGHT, N/A
AWELON ROYALISH FRED, N/A
SHARON ELAINE, N/A

great grandparents (dam side)
GREENWORTH ODDS AGAINST, 8
ALANWOOD LADY JAZMINE, 23
ROSSACRE TEDDY EDWARD, 10
DREAMING DIVA. 10

I am not a pedigree expert I'm afraid but I'd take a stab at saying you've got a mostly 'pet dog' pedigree with a little bit of 'Show' in there, say from the likes of GREENWORTH ODDS AGAINST for example.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Incidentally I checked out that web site this morning but thank you for taking the time to check through all of them yourself. Pet pedigree is good enough for me. He's our little champ anyway :D

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Nothing wrong with a pet labrador :wink:

I think the BRYNDAFYDD line is also a show/pet line, rather than working, and an established line at that. There are many on here who know more than me and may be able to help further :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Your pup's pedigree appears to me to a mix of pet and show lines.

Bryndafydd was a well respected show line, owned by David and Brenda Bull. They showed in the late 1970's and in the 1980's, and had some excellent blacks, of sound construction, and lots of substance. I don't think they made up any champions, as I recall, but they did a lot of winning, including CCs and Res. CCs. Their K.C. Registered names were often taken from Greek mythology...eg. Bryndafydd Europa, Atlanta, Zeus, etc. I didn't realise that the prefix was still being used, since Brenda died about 15 years ago, and I suspect that the use of "Bryndafydd" in your pup's pedigree doesn't have anything to do with the Bryndafydd prefix of the late Brenda Bull.

However, there are certainly showlines on your pup's dam's side of the pedigree. Alanwood Oddsmaker (your pup's maternal grandfather) is litter brother to Alanwood Spring Breeze at Ramsayville, and I'm sure that those of you on here who know her, would agree with me, that she is one of the top yellow bitches in the breed in recent years. She has won about 20 CCs at the moment, and is a most beautiful bitch.

So not just showlines.....but top drawer showlines.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Excellent post ellebony and I will pass on your references to Bryndafydd to my friend who has quite a few Bryndafydd's in one of her girl's pedigree, for example:
BRYNDAFYDD LAMOTH
BRYNDAFYDD LEXI
BRYNDAFYDD BOANN
BRYNDAFYDD KYRENIA
BRYNDAFYDD KERIDWEN

and now I'm hi-jacking your thread POOPSCOOP10, so many apologies for that :oops: :wink:

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wow, thanks for that guys! Indeed any further info on the bryndafydd line would be greatly appreciated as have had limited success through the internet so far. No need to apologise barney2007 as is all still relevant to Leon. I find it all quite fascinating!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts