Labradors Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In preparation for our new family member, we became regular visitors to our local pet store buying just about anything that was doggy related :roll: after spending a small fortune and being sure that our boy could have every toy he could wish for, I find that 2 days in, that he has not looked at any of them - in fact the kitchen roll (full) the end of the broom and a leaf found on the floor have bought many hours of enjoyment leaving the toys so lovingly chosen untouched :) So I was wondering what items do your labs love and is it a trait that anything they shouldn't have is best????

Sarah
x

·
Registered
12,175 Posts
hi sarah
some of maxs favourites are plastic pop bottles, my bucket when he can grab it, the laundry basket and a large coffee tin with the lid on tight and a couple of bits of kibble inside to make it rattle. :lol:

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Hi Sarah

If your pup has regular access to his toys he may well not be intersted in them because they are always there - whereas the odd leaf, or kitchen roll will disappear so he probably wants to play with them quickly before they go!!

We always put Charlies toys away and played with them when it was playtime - so he was always so interested in them he played endlessly until he was knackered and playtime was over.

Maybe try putting them away and leaving him with one toy for all the time and have the rest as special treats for when he is a goodboy.

Charlie had a squeaky dog that he had every evening - his toys are now kept in a box and he never touches the dog until the evening when we have had dinner, we sit down with a cuppa and tell him to go find his dog and he rushes to the box to collect it - even after 10 months that dog and the time he is allowed it still has that novelty value.

Sarah

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
Hi Sarah,

Before I bought Tilly home I joked with the breeder about getting her some toys, she almost frowned and said ' The best toy you can get your Labrador pup...is you '

As a ' young pup owner ' I still went and bought shed loads, but as she has grown up a bit ( in age not mind, I hasten to add ! ) I actually understand what she ment.

Tis still nice to have some to play with together but you will notice as time moves on that she only wants to play with them...if you are too !

......it's a Lab thing.....you are their life, their focus....

I know toys, be they bought or found in tool shed, are important for development etc but ultimatly ...you will be the most important thing to them!

I read a quote on here before the site crashed, that really brings it home, roughly, forgive me . from memory.......

' You have your friends, home, cars, work, pub's, events, busy schedule etc.......but I only have you.......'

Who posted that quote and from where? Was brill !

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Toys --- why did i bother 2 :oops: ( :wink: ) i guess this is self explanatory....all in the same boat so don't worry your not alone...

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Hi Sarah,

We did the same thing with Ben, we brought loads of toys for him but he was just not intrested in them. But at around 4-5 months he started to get into them and now most of them are wreaked..lol I think they are just to young for toys in the early stages, but I'm sure they will come in very handy soon... :wink:

With Bens toys he has a few for a couple of days and then I change them for a different few and so on and so on. They will be a bit over welmed if you let them have loads.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Scooby loves his toys but I have the problem that they don't last 2 minutes (and that's not an exaggeration)

I bought him a rope ball and a long tennis-ball thing and chose them because they seem robust but within minutes of giving them to him, he chewed the tennis ball thing into little pieces (I had to quickly take the remainder off him) and shredded the rope toys to bits!

He isn't bothered about his kong and I have tried getting him to play with it and have stuck food inside (which goes mouldy sometimes! yuk!)

He also likes pop bottles and sticks and stones (which I am constantly taking away from him!)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts