Labradors Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when we got Arthur he was a chubby fella, wife kept asking why we got "the fat one"... it didn't take long for him to work off his puppy fat though (on his recommended daily meals of Chuddleys).

However, i'm wondering if he's a little on the lean side now? You can often see ribs when he's walking around and he definitely doesn't have a belly. He's 4 months, healthy in every way that we can see, tries to eat everything he can but AFAIK that's a lab thing...

Thoughts?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,748 Posts
I am no expert but if he were mine I would like to see a little bit more weight on him.

If you do increase the amount do it gradually or it will give him the runs.

I play around with the amounts my have quite frequently depending on how much exercise they have had and whether they look too slim or tubby!

Hope this helps.

Chloe

?

·
0 Posts
How is he bred; all Working Lines, all Show, a bit of both? This will have a huge impact on his shape and on how much weight he carries.

To be honest, I think he's about right, but then I like my dogs lean. Plus pups of that age tend to shoot up in fits and starts, you often see ribs one day, only to have them disappear the next as a growth spurt slows down. I wouldn't want him any leaner though, else if he gets an upset tum, he'll have nothing in reserve.

I do as Chloe does and play around with feeding amounts. I have never fed any of my dogs going by a feeding guide, as they are far too generalised. If mine have a hard few days, or if they just look a bit lean, then they get a bit more in their bowl....and if they have an easy few days or look a tad plump, they get a bit less. 8)

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Both mine are lean types, but I think at his age I'd like a little more weight on him. If he does pick up a bug he'll have no reserves. Don't go mad though, he's lovely.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback. He's from working lines and his dad was very lean, mum was about average. Will keep an eye on him in terms of quantity of food vs belly rather than the "guide".

Thanks

·
Registered
601 Posts
I think he looks just fine, esp if he is from lean working lines. I'd rather see pups on the leaner side than podgy at this age, as it is far better for their joints.

Like others have said, you can try increasing his food a tiny bit as he continues through this growth phase, split over several meals in the day, but I really wouldn't be too concerned.

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
It's difficult when they're growing. I can remember Mins looking 'too thin' (and I like lean dogs too) at times, but I was feeding her so much, I couldn't add to it. Also, their ribs can be more noticeable at times when they're eating, sniffing etc., I think. They do tend to grow up, then out. How many times a day are you feeding him? If you feel you're up to feeding him the max, you could try spreading his food out over more meals, maybe adding a little more in to see how he does. I'd have him on three meals a day until he's six months anyway, but you could try taking that back to four if it works out?

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
He looks ok to me. Jed was and still is a skinny bean and I had him on three meals a day until he was about 12 months and he still gets a kong at lunch.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I haven't seen a lot of working line Labs to know if he looks OK or not, but various studies show that dogs that are fed 25% less than the recommended amount of food tend to fare better in the long run. So don't sweat it.

On the other side, it's soooooo easy to overfeed a lab.

·
Registered
385 Posts
He looks OK to me. They grow out of their puppy chubbiness far too fast. My boy got all long and leggy and then after a year start to fill out, especially his chest and face but he is from working dogs so is still long and lean.

Someone on here had a scale that was something on the lines of: skin over his ribs should feel as thick as a wool blanket.

·
Premium Member
6,609 Posts
I think he looks ok for a 4 month old pup from working lines.

They go through a really lanky stage at around 4 months where they look all legs. Being from working stock he might not broaden until he is over a year old. I wouldn't worry too much as long as you can't see individual ribs when he is stood straight.

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
He looks a bit skinny to me, and I like em thin. But it's hard to say from a couple of pics, especially when they are growing like a weed.

But, in my opinion, a wee bit too thin.

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
I've just showed this to Les who says not too thin!

And she is forever saying our spaniel is too skinny. Just goes to show 8O

1 - 15 of 15 Posts