Labradors Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
In the last couple of weeks Henry has become very rough while playing with one particular dog, Every Sunday I meet a friend who has a 18 month old Cocker spaniel bitch and we take them both for a walk, we have been doing this since his inoculations have allowed so they are very familiar with each other and generally get on very well, however the last two times they have been out Henry has been very rough with her, (pinning her down, nipping at her, jumping on her), Two weeks ago it was quite bad, but not as bad as yesterday, He would not listen to my recall command, was not interested in retrieving his ball (something I've never seen before) and I eventually had to grab his harness and put him back on his lead for the rest of the walk. My friend was fine about it even saying I was over reacting and they were just playing but I was genuinely concerned for his dog. What really concerned me was the fact that I had lost control of Henry, had I not been able to grab his harness I don't know what would have happened.
Usually he is great with all dogs, he is usually calm while meeting new dogs, while walking with him after putting him back on the lead he was the model of calm and politeness to the few dogs that we encountered on our way back.
I really don't know where to go with this, I don't want to stop him playing but I certainly don't want him getting worse and taking chunks out of my friends dog, worse still I'm very worried about loosing control of him when he gets in that state of mind.
I'm really hoping someone has encountered behavior like this and could offer some advice, for the time being he will be on the lead every Sunday which is not a long term solution.

Thanks

Simon

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
How old is your dog? Is he entire? Is the bitch entire? To me this sounds like normal behaviour. You should see my youngsters (a 23 month entire male and 15 month entire female). You’d think they were killing each other.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts