Labradors Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new to the forum. Hope everyone is well? Last Monday myself and the wife have for outselves a little chocolate puppy called Rocky. So so far he has been a really good boy, he's getting used to us and he is settling in well.

Toilet training through the day is fine and he is starting to get that he need to do his business outside and sometimes even go to the door and looks out, ready to be let out. He has had a few accidents but we never tell him off, just pick him up and take him outside.

Crate training is ok, he still prefers to play outside the crate and doesn't see it as his sleeping place or I suppose fun place yet, but he is getting better and we just encourage him to play in there by not forcing him in and playing with him while he is in there. We also put him in there when he falls asleep on the rug next to us.

So here is the part we need advice on. The last 3 nights we had the crate in the living room, which is next to our bedroom. (We live in a bungalow) The first night I slept on the couch next it him and put him in the crate to sleep. He cried and whined for 15mins or so but eventually went to sleep. He woke up about 4am and made some noise, so I made no fuss but picked him up and took him outside todo his business. He had a wee amd that's it, I put him back to bed and he continued to cry and whine. I ignored him again but after 30 mins I turned the lights on and poor little man had a accident (number 2) I made sure to take him out straight away and clean the mess up after I let him out. I popped him back in and he was ok, no accidents but did make a lot of
Noise till we got up.

The next few nights are basically the same in the same way we would let him out and let him do his stuff before bed but again less than 30 mins after that toilet let out he does another accident. We finding it hard to figure out if he is crying for attention or because of needing the toilet.

Last night was better because we moved one of out draws to fit the crate in out bedroom to see if that would help. It did too, only one toilet stop and that was at 6 30, let him out just the same he had 2 wee stops and then he wanted to go in. So we took him in and put him back in the cage and again cried and whined for 10mins or so and done another number 2.

The other thing is when we let him out he sometimes gets distracted by little stones or leaves etc, any advice on getting him to just do his business and knowing when I should take him in because it's looks like he is done and he comes back to me and looks bored or plays about, which to me says he's is done with his toilet and wants to go in?

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
Welcome :wave:

Everyone has different answers for this one.

We put our alarm on for 3am and 5am for the first week to take her out for toileting, so that she didn't learn that crying = attention.

Then for the second week we put the alarm on for just 5am, gradually making it later.

Now, if it's before 8:30 she doesn't want to come out of the crate even for breakfast - typical teenager!

Enjoy your new little bundle - they grow so FAST!!

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Hi there

I agree with Boogs, I used to get up at 3am for a wee break. Put them on a long lead outside so no distractions and didn't have to chase round the garden in the night!!

It only lasts a month or two getting up & now by 8am Ted is still asleep (he's 5months now)

I also still leave the radio on quietly in the kitchen where they sleep.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the posts guys, will set the alarm for 2am and 5am and see how it goes. Will put the leed on him too, so he does not get distracted by things because the little man is so curious of everything haha

·
Registered
588 Posts
Another alarm fan here 2 and 5am make sense - maybe tweak back the 5am just a tad as 4.30am toilet time if extended can drift into wake up and breakfast time if dog wont settle again.

Might I suggest the last toilet excursion before human bed time is a little more prolonged so as to try to facilitate delivery of solids before bed time.

Other than toilet word or choice and quick praise keep verbals minimal

Pups are cute but we kept crate on landing door closed or slightly ajar so he could sense/hear our presence and not feel abandoned. I might make a point of deliberately turning or coughing so he knew we were still close if he woke. A night light suitably placed may help too albeit I would try to avoid one right next to the crate.

·
Registered
167 Posts
What I done was the first few nights he was home; I was with him and when he should signs of wanting out; I took him outside and recorded the times. Over two / three nights.. The times he wanted out were about the same. So; I then set my alarm twice to beat him to it. It was bed about 9:30-10 and first alarm was half 12 and then 4 oclock and then up at 7.

After a week or more; I dropped the half 12 and just done the 4 oclock. With that one alarm; I upped it 15 minutes every night.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts