Labradors Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 7 month old male yellow lab. He doesn't go to toilet in the house, (apart from the odd accident!) but will go outside. Im also training him to toilet on command, which is going well. However. When I go out and I dont take him I put him in his kennel. Attached to the kennel is a run. He will not go to toilet in the run, even when I ask him to. Ive tried dipping a rag in his wee, and other dogs wee and leaving it in there but nothing. But when I let him out the first thing he does is to have a good long wee. The bed area has a wooden base and the run goes straight onto the paving slabs with a small gap all around. I also have his food and water bowls in the run.

Has anyone any ideas?

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Some dogs will not go on a different surface.

Does he normally go on the grass?

IF yes then I would put a slab of turf in the run and see if that changes anything for him. For many this is something they grow out of but not always.

?

·
0 Posts
I don't think that's unusual, in fact the one reason many people who kennel their dogs, start off with them indoors to housetrain them, is that they are then clean in their kennel and run. I know my sister's two boys who are kenneled outside, never ever toilet in their run and like your boy, go as soon as they are let out, and that saves having to scrub the run out every day and it stinking of dog pee in the summer months. 8)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply..... My back garden is all paved. The kennel is a different type/colour. He's fine on the other slabs, so Ive put one of the garden slabs in the run, but no joy!

Your right, I dont have to clean as often, but I want him to be happy out there, not crossing his paws!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts