Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Molly is still being toilet trained (how long does this go on for??) She's got the general gist that mummy and daddy are very happy when she goes outside to do her business (lots of praise and sometimes a treat), but hasn't grasped that we aren't happy when she does it inside :x any futher tips would be appreciated.

So far we have left the back door open whenever we are in and when she is out of her crate, so that she can go out whenever she needs to (sometimes she still does her business inside...grrrr). However, we would like to be able to instill in her the need to bark, whine or whatever to let us know that she needs to go out so that we can close the door when its really cold - how on earth do we get her to do that??

R x

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi

I too would like to know what i can do. Charlie is 13 weeks old and has the idea of going outside, but at night when he's in his crate he still goes. Although he does bark to go to number twos !!! I realise that he is still growing but when do they usually go through the night without messing at all???

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Hello!

I think that toilet training is one of the longest and most time consuming things to teach these dogs - but once they have got the hang of it its bliss....!

Ok, I will start with Rosie! Molly probably hasnt yet gained the idea of going outside yet - its probably been flukes each time - the worst thing that you can do is tell her off if she messes indoors - this will only teach her not to mess when you are around, or at least not in front of you. She does not know by the sounds of it that outside is the place to go to the toilet. The best thing that you can to is take her out very frequently, and wait for her to go - even if you are out there for ages - I used to take my book outside when I was waiting for Charlie to go! When he did finally go though I would say 'Toilet Charlie' and now he goes almost everytime on command. Once she gets into the habit of going outside with you and never being given the opportunity to wee indoors she will soon learn - thats when the wining to go outside will start because she will know that she has to wee in the garden because thats when she gets her treats for being a good girl!

Just most improtantly, try not to let her have any opportunity to go inside - and if she does have an accident telling her off will only scare her into not letting you see her wee.....

Lucifer, Charlie is still only a very tiny baby at 13 weeks old - everything is still so confusing to him - we had terrible troubles with our Charlie messing his crate until he was bout 4 1/2 months old, we used to take him out but he still messed - the vet advised that we start to feed him later on in the evening, so we gave him his dinner about 9pm which meant that he could hold on until morning - we also thought that it could have been a little stress related with him so we left him a light and radio on in the room where his crate was.

Toilet training is all about perseverence, I dont think any 2 dogs are the same when it comes to this - some catch on really quickly some take a little longer, but the most important thing is consitency - dont give them a chance to let themselves down by messing the house it will only upset them if they know they have upset Mummy and Daddy which will be detrimental to their progress.....

Hope that the above helps.

Good luck!! :)

Sarah

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Sarah, when it gets to summer I will be more than happy to sit outside with a glass of wine and my book and wait until the little darling has done her 'do's'!!! but flip me, up until now its needed a thermos flask and a big coat!! :)

We were told to ignore the bad, so we haven't made too much fuss when she goes inside, just pick her up and pop her outside (mostly so's we can clear up without her 'help'!). I guess its just a question of perseverence eh?

Makes sense tho that if she is still going inside then she hasn't quite got the message that outside is where she should be going! Glad the summers on its way....I think I'll be spending a fair bit of time in the garden!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi everyone!

Just thought I would have to tell you about my Charlie! When we bought him we got a crate with the idea of it being a safe place if we were not around for short periods. However, he had no problem at all about messing in there and quickly associated it as being his toilet! :roll:
So.... he now uses it as an inside loo rather than a bed and even runs in from outside to go to the loo which I have to say makes me giggle! It like having another toddler!
True, it is not what I had hoped for but it kind of works with occasional accidents elsewhere!

Tracey xxx

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
My leo is almost 13 weeks old now.
We have had to work very hard to teach him toilet is done outside and not inside.
Hes not fully learned yet. However, is making progress, as when taken outdoors and done his 'buisness' he often waits on his treat or praise.
He still has small accidents indoors, however this is usually in the morning when taken out his crate and gets excited and pees out of the excitment. Therefore we have started picking him up and putting him outside immediatly after opening the crate door in the mornings, and waiting for him to toilet then rewarding him.
Its very hard work but already we have seen progress and that in itself is very rewarding :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi Everyone,

Just thought I would update you on how we are getting on with toilet training Amber. She is 10 weeks old on Weds. :D She has her 2nd injection then as well and I can't wait to be able to take her for walkies. She sits on command and we are working on the come, stay and give commands (sometimes she does them sometimes not...)

She knows that number 2s are outside and asks to be let out, wees are another thing and a bit hit and miss atm. We take her out when she wakes, after she has played and after she has eaten and by doing so limit the chance of her weeing in the house. She goes on command outside now (she has her own little spot she likes to do it in...) :p

Hope we are doing it right, it seems to work ok so far. She sleeps in her cage all night, we feed her about 9.30pm, she goes to sleep at 11pm, and she doesn't wake us till 6ish to be let out. I have taken to opening the patio door first then letting her out of her cage so that she knows to go straight outside on waking. Watch this space

Chez

·
Registered
126 Posts
Toilet training :roll: Toby is 11 1/2 weeks and has a vaque idea on where he is supposed go. Still very hit and miss though, he does try and let us know when he wants to 'poo' but if I'm not quick enough - woops :x
Ignoring his mistakes and praising the good times but it seems to be a far longer process than with my other dogs, Collie and a Scottie both sadly gone now, but I'm sure given time he will get there!

Won't he :? :?

Seem to be doing what everybody else does but not too sure when to say the command, we use 'quickly'. If I say it mid process he tends to get distracted, I say it when I take him out in the hope he'll understand what I want :lol: and directly after with a treat but is that too late ? Advice please...............

regards

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
What you said your doing, seems to be fine Jennie.
I have always gave Leo his treat right after he does it too, and it seems to work for us.
Leos almost 18 weeks and still learning. Guess they are like babies/children.. They all learn different and at different stages. Some learn quicker than others, and others take a little more time to learn where to go.
:D

·
Registered
126 Posts
Looking at little Leo he and Toby could be brothers !!!! Thanks for the vote of confidence, it just seems that Labs take a little longer to get the idea :roll: , mind you so do the boys, human as well as canine :lol:
regards

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Infact, looking, Yeah :D
They look like twins :lol:
From your previous posts they seem to have the same cheeky scamp personailty too :D

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Hi Jennie

I am sure that Toby will get there in the end - at 11 1/2 weeks he is still only a baby and probably trying to learn new things all the time so he probably getting confused at times - bless him!!

We used to take Charlie out at all the right times - after food, after a sleep etc....but we also tried to take him every hour (I worked from home so was able to do that!) - as he was going it was then that we put the command to it - after a few weeks, we were able to say 'Toilet Charlie' as soon as we went outside and he knew exactly what we wanted and 'went'!!

The best thing to do is not give Toby the opportunity to go indoors - keep an eye on him and any sign that he wants to go, pop him outdoors, stay with him and praise once he has been.

You will get there in the end - labs are so intelligent, all ofa sudden it will click with him - and remember he is still a baby - most pups are house trained by about 14/15 weeks.....!!

Hope that helps?

·
Registered
8 Posts
On the subject

Sam has picked up his toilet training very well for his young age of 11 1/2 weeks, the only thing is.....he pees like a girl! :oops: I think he picks it up from Holly. Is this just a puppy thing or will he be like this for life?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Hi Labinlove - my boy Charlie is 15 months now and still squats when he pees......he has never once cocked his leg, and does not bother with scenting either.....he is happy just to squat and then go off....must say I am not bothered, as we dont have to stop by every lamp post for him to scent!! :lol:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Rupert is 15 weeks old today :)

We have had him since 8 weeks. Rupert has a crate and has always been fed outdoors. When we first got him, we would wait outside until he had also gone to the loo (which wasnt long as he was very young). We soon noticed he went to the same spot in the garden and praised him for going outside.

Indoors Rupert would sniff the floor and run in circles which inticated he needed the loo so we would take him straight out and say 'go to the loo.'

Now he understands the command 'go to the loo' and this will prompt him to go the the loo. Often he moans/sighs as he doesnt really need to go but realises he be outside until the 'business' is done :)

All dogs learn at different times. Good luck and I hope some of Ruperts experiences will help.

·
Registered
113 Posts
ginger is now 10 months old, it took me 7 months to train her :p ya it takes that long ...btw ppl say dont scold the dogs if they make do it in the wrong place.but i did . NOt serious scolding but just a heavy voice *bad dog* and gave her biscuits and praise when she did it in the right place. Now she does it at the right place (99%) of the times..she still makes few mistakes sometimes..but coz they are accidents she doesnt get a scolding .

·
Registered
29 Posts
Star is 13 weeks and still having plenty of accidents. I did try by giving him treats after but then i find at night he won't bother. So i'm trying just with praise - hoping he'll start getting the hang of it soon!!

·
Registered
115 Posts
After reading through this thread I have found some really useful advice...
Cookie is also going straight outside when he wakes/after play/after food...he seems to be getting the jist of it :) he does have accidents but thats okay he is only 7 weeks old!

debs and Cookie x

1 - 20 of 23 Posts