Labradors Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Firstly, how long is she left?

Secondly, do you clean up using bio washing powder or pet odour remover? If the scent is there, she is likely to go back.

Whilst the flap may seem like a good idea, I wonder if since she has the freedom to choose, she is choosing inside. Bit like having an open door in the house in the summer - what is in and what is out to the dog?

Finally, she is just a babe at five months, I think she can be forgiven somewhat.

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
Eight hours is too long to leave her for lots of different reasons - can't you at least get a dog walker / sitter to come in every day. I work full time and sometimes have to leave mine for a maximum of 4 hours, but never for any longer. I either use doggy day care, work from home, and definitely go home at lunchtime.

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
Milliemops said:
I also want to make sure she is happy and that by leaving her I'm not doing her any harm. A work colleague told me I was cruel the other week and that I shouldn't have her as I'm not at home during the day.
No, she won't be happy. She will soon become bored and behaviour issues will arise. Pups of this age need to play and lots of training (in regular but short bursts).

There are other options, as Daphs says. Even getting someone in to walk her once a day wouldn't be enough at this young age over eight hours.

Doggy day care is a good option imo.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I don't even leave my two that long and they are 4 and 1.5.

Plus poor little pup must be bored silly. And I don't know where you are, but I know some folks would worry about leaving a lab on their own in the back garden (seasons aside) and who know what could happen to them - from dangerous plants to being stolen.

Sorry but I think most folks will agree that is far too long and you need to look into making some arrangements if she needs to be left that long.

·
Premium Member
21,240 Posts
8 hours is way too long to leave your dog on her own at that age and that's why you are having problems, not to mention the fact that at some point you are going to have one very bored adolescent on your hands very soon which will manifest into all manner of unwanted behaviour.

I would strongly urge you to consider getting a dog walker in to break the day up, she needs human companionship and guidance, you have a dog that was bred to work and use it's brain and want to be around humans.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Sorry as others have said this is far too long to leave a young puppy, or any dog for that matter, they need company. The best idea is day care somewhere for her to have human company.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
You can't toilet train a puppy if you're not there, so in your absence she is making the decision to pee and poo where it suits her. I agree with the others that 8h is far too long for a puppy (and even a young adult dog). You think she is fine because she has access to the garden, but I invite you to sit in the utility room, with no book, no tv, no phone, no distraction whatsoever and see how long it takes for you to be bored out of your mind! :wink:

I work full time and have a dog walker/sitter coming once or twice per day depending on my schedule, so my dog is never alone for more than 2-3h at a time. I could probably stretch him to blocks of 4h, but better safe than sorry me thinks.

Once they start with behavioural issues it's that much harder to bring them back so please re-think you arrangements. I know dog sitters can be expensive, but perhaps you have family, neighbours, etc who can also help?

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
Please, please look into finding someone reliable, whether it be a paid dog sitter, or a trusted friend/neighbour/relative, that can come in at least once a day to visit your puppy. Aside from the toileting issues - and who can blame her for messing when you're leaving her for so long - I really don't think it's fair to leave her without company for so long :-( She's still very much a baby too.

People do work full-time away from home and manage to have dogs, but I really urge you to get someone in regularly, for a decent amount of time each day, assuming you can't make it home in your lunch break, so her day of loneliness is at least broken up once.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:cry: I'm so confused, the breeder we got her from told us if we train her to be used to being on her own from the start she would be fine. We provide her with special toys for when she's in that area such as her Kong and she's incredibly happy and well behaved. As soon as we open the door to the room when we are about to leave she jumps on her bed and curls up to go to sleep with her tail wagging.

I feel awful. I knew I would have a task with the toilet training in there but I never realised that leaving her would be such an issue.

·
Premium Member
21,240 Posts
Then your breeder did you a HUGE disservice and I am afraid that if you speak to the many reputable ones on here they would not have sold a pup to you if they knew you would be leaving the puppy 8 hrs on his own :(

You can make things better for him, get a dog walker or find a dog creche. P

What is done is done, but trust me , if you continue down this route you will be facing a massive uphill battle in a few months

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
It's not too late to fix the situation and find a dog sitter to help you! A quick Google search should give you loads, perhaps the vet or local pet shop will have flyers/ads near the till. Or ask anyone you see in the park with 4+ dogs :wink:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts