Labradors Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any advice on how well my 2 year old lab cross will cope with loosing her middle two toes on her front leg. She has a tumour and the vet has advised either toes or full leg but I’m just so unsure of what is the best option. With just two outer toes could she learn to weight bare differently or is it better for her to have just her leg removed?

all advice will be great fully received

·
Administrator
20,778 Posts
You will be surprised! She will barely notice it. I've known dogs loose a leg and still run around! I run canine eye testing sessions and a woman came to us one evening with a Labrador bitch with a paw missing. Before being born the umbilical cord got wrapped around it shutting off the blood supply. Her vet amputated the paw to prevent gangrene! Racing greyhounds often loose a toe. They have quite long toes and put so much force through them that the toes often break.

Be guided by your vet. If the tumour is confined then it's toes off. But if it's likely to have progressed further then have the leg off. At 2 years old she will soon adapt. :)

·
Premium Member
8,847 Posts
They soon adapt. At a young age I’d probably opt for the lesser operation. If they can get a margin by removing ties, do it. My Carys had a MCT and had a toe removed on her hind leg about 6 maybe 7 years ago. At 13 she’s still going strong.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts