Labradors Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Daisy has driven me mad quite literally (sleep deprivation) for five weeks now :(
She is crated at night time and wakes 3 or 4 times. I have ignored her and that went against my gut instincts because everytime she barked and I let her out she went and did a wee or a poop and I felt bad if she was in desperate need to go and I ignored her- kind of like I have been training her to go outside and she may get confused if I ignore her asking- hope that makes sense.
Anyway shes a headstrong puppy and a determined little girlie and the last week or so shes been going out and doing a wee and instead of jumping back in her crate she jumps on the sofa between Mocha and Jemima and lays down as if to say mum please leave me here. And I put her back in the crate. This whole cycle then gets repeated hourly :oops:
Anyway my daughter has seen that Im exhausted and said she would get up to her the past two nights.
So of course Victoria (daughter) lets her sleep on sofa last night and I have
a whole nights sleep- oh that was blinkin lovely :D
BUT..... I did have one poop on the floor to clear up
So - question is what shall I do tonight. Should I make her stay in the crate, should I let her sleep on the sofa???
I am torn between sleep and being in charge of this pesky pup :lol:
She is 13 weeks old now.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I'd be very tempted to leave her! She clearly wants to stay with the big girls! I must admit that I've always left pups overnight and set my alarm for early. It's worked for me, but I know others have their own opinions!
Is the crate near where the others sleep? If not, try moving it. Other than that I don't know. Good luck; it's horrid being sleep deprived!

?

·
0 Posts
If I had my Mojo again, you know what I'd do, I'd take her up to bed with me and let her sleep there :lol: .

She was a nightmare for the first 7 weeks, screaming all night whether she was in her crate or out, whether I ignored her, took her out or told her off. She just wanted to be with me.

I didn't have the option of leaving her with Tara, as Tara was recovering from a nasty injury, plus I want my pups to bond more strongly with me than with any other dog because that can cause problems further down the line (as I found out when Lottie died and poor Tara was completely lost without her).

I stuck with leaving Mojo downstairs, but I don't think this had any great benefit in the end. It just meant I spent weeks exhausted and consequently hating the pup. I certainly didn't feel like training and bonding with her, because I was so tired.

So with hindsight (hindsight is such a wonderful thing) if I had another pup like her, I'd tuck it up in bed with me at night and we'd both get some sleep....and if it peed on my carpets upstairs, then so be it, they can always be washed or replaced :wink: .

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
I think it must be different when you have more than one dog - she can see where the pack is and her place in it! Your choice seems to be between sleep and clearing up poop :). But, she will soon be house trained and all will be well!

When we first got Tatze she screamed and barked and cried in the crate, so we sat by it (in the day) 'till she fell asleep - then sneaked the door open so that she didn't cry or bark to get out. We did this a few times during the first couple of days and she settled great at night (exhausted!)

For night times I set my alarm and took Tatze out at 3am for the first week. After that it was getting harder to wake her up so I set it for 5:30am for wees and poos and then we both snoozed on the settee 'till 7am when the morning began :)

Now, if she barks in the night, I know she needs the loo - but that only happens very rarely. I wake her up at either 6am (work days) or 7:30am (non work days) I have no idea how long she would sleep as I don't do lie ins, being a lark myself :D

·
Registered
588 Posts
This worked for us.........

- Overnight : Closed Crated on landing from day one (8 weeks).
- Daytime: Large pen area but with open crate unless safety of Pup dictated otherwise. Other exploring under supervision.

- Overnight Toileting : Alarm set couple of times initially then once until bladder developed & sleeping through. On handful of times I would lay by crate then go back to bedroom once pup settled. Minimise talking to pup overnight other than short praise when outdoor toileting done.

In past pup ownership we tried the ignore tactic but the noise was unbearable & left us confused as to whether it was fear of abandonment, toilet need or simply pup being over demanding.

We found that the crate on landing, (initially with bedroom door ajar), gave control but without pup feeling abandoned.

This might not be easy to sort as pup has had a few weeks calling the shots but bladder will be getting stronger now. Sleeping in lounge with pup, (however kindly intentioned), is unlikely to solve this.

With so many on here with experience of pups you will hopefully end up with advice which will suit.

IMO consistency if the key.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
My two are both in the kitchen but Ted (14wks) in crate but he can see Max

I was up at 3am for first 5wks so I feel for you, I was knackered. But now Ted sleeps thru til 6:30am. There is light at the end of the tunnel!!

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Minnie was almost 6 months before she could hold a pee from 11 pm till 6 am, so totally understand about how tired you are but she is still a very little baby.

Did you get up at regular times? If so I would set the alarm and pop her outside but leave her to sleep with the other dogs, OR put her crate with the other dogs OR put the other dogs with the crate.

Mandy

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
Sleep.

With my rescue pups, I often stayed up very late and got up very early, so I could avoid having to go outside in the middle of the night - and my pups were close by, so I knew if they needed out.

Mins ended up on the bed at nine weeks, but she was an angelic pup who just curled up and slept through right from the start.

I couldn't have done that with Daisy, so she was crated in the bedroom. I can't ignore a dog crying though, I just can't. So when she did, I got her out of the crate and held her and soothed her, gave her Reiki and then put her back into her crate when she was sleepy again. I probably did that several times a night at one stage, but it certainly beat having to listen to her crying for ages or keeping us all, neighbours included, awake. After a while, she started sleeping right through and I can remember sometimes even have to wake her up in the morning - though she's not a Lab!

Sleep is important for everyone :)

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
Sometimes the end justifies the means. Coping during the day is so much harder when you're deprived of sleep. As long as she doesn't become destructive and try to eat your sofa rather than sleep on it, then maybe the way to go is let her sleep with the others.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts