Labradors Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
george is the most wonderful laid back choc lab ever. everyone comments how laid back he is, he isnt manic or mad nor does he hump everything in sight. he is 9 months old. vet in london says to get him done but the vet in country says dont worry until he is a nuisance. he has started becoming remarkably deaf when i call him if there is a bitch around so am now thinking about getting him done. he hasnt started to cock his leg yet. i really could do with advice on what to do for the best.
can anyone help thanks NIna n George

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
If Gorge doesn`t hump everything that moves then I`d wait a little while longer, at 9 months he`s not quite mature yet and to wait another few months shouldn`t do any harm, unless at the vet says he becomes a nuisance, I was told by a breeder that the best time to neuter was around 18 months.

As for the going deaf in the vicinity of females I think this could be more testing you out, if you call him once and he doesn`t come, go to him, put him on lead and take him away, this should hopefully get the message thru that what you say goes, it may take a while though :)

·
Registered
10,913 Posts
He is starting to get deaf because he is 9 months old! Castrating him won't make this behaviour any better! You need to re-affirm all your training and make sure he understand that recall means recall. He has reached the age where he is taking the P!

Castration will only (maybe!) help reduce unwanted sexual behaviour. It won't necessarily stop him lifting his leg either.

·
Administrator
21,783 Posts
Mary and Fee have it right. There is no good reason for castrating a dog who is no problem, if you dont want to. (And it's your choice, not your vets!) So saying, I've always had my males nutered when I had males, but prefered to leave it to nearer 18 months old to give them time to grow up.

Regards, John

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for your answers. i met someone in the park in london today who said it was irresponsible not to have him done as he could run off after a bitch. i did understand where he was coming from as there isnt that much danger in the country where we walk. so dilemma do i get him done or not. i couldnt bear to lose him through my inaction or indecision.

·
Registered
10,913 Posts
I had Hudson intact till he was 20 months. Never once did he run after a bitch so far I couldn't get him back! On both side of our house... 2 house down and 2 houses up, 2 bitches in each house!!!! Both of the boys stand outside and waft the air, but have never been compelled to leg it after the lovely ladies!

It is highly unlikely you would let that happen - seriously the dog is more likely to run away if he wasn't being watched by you. So if you are in the habit of leaving him where he can get out on his own for any period of time and he legs it, then THATS irresponsible. Having an intact dog is not an irresponsible thing! Taking and in season bitch out to public places... now THAT is irresponsible!

Some people are just full of it! Tell the person to mind there own business!!! Work on recall in lots of different situations and have confidence that you are in control of him!

G

·
I waited until Jet was 20 months before I "had him done" it gave him time to grow up and at 3 he's a very well balanced dog and I thoroughly enjoy his company.

Castration won't make or solve behavioural problems, ( that's what training is for :wink: ) Castration will prevent accidental matings, not your problem a the dog owner but thoughtful of you for all the bitch owners out there

·
Registered
352 Posts
we decided to get Max neutered at 13 months,he was not aggressive or humping anyone ,but he did start to ignore our commands around a bitch,he was neutered 9 weeks ago ,and it is the best decision we made ,he is a pleasure to walk ,and his recall has improved,he still c**ks his leg as well. His post op recovery was only 2 days as well, his stitches healed well ,but he had to be walked on a lead for 2 weeks which was a nightmare.I think sometimes the hormones overide the training commands.
good luck with your decision

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thank you so much for your advice. i think i have decided to be firmer with training and recall issues and not give in so easily. i really dont want to get him done just yet anyway as other than ignorning me (occassionally) he is just lovely.
thanks all for your advice.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
just to add,
Ben came to me at 14 months totally out of control with humping,
& i still didnt get him castrated till he was 18months just did lots of training with him

as others & u have agreed its best to wait till they mature,

& to be honest Bitch owners of bitches in heat should not be walking their dogs in busy dog walking parks,

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
I am a firm believer in "use it or lose it" - but like others here, I don't think you should rush into doing it.

Ozzie took a long time to mature, and so we waited until he was 2 before we had him castrated.

·
Registered
21 Posts
We have always had males and have never had them neutered.....until Merlin! He took every opportunity he could find to run away and was quite boisterous at home. Our breeder had already advised to wait until he was 18months if we did decide to neuter him and we lasted until he was 3yrs. His fate was sealed when I took him over the woods and he disappeared (again) for 25mins while I was frantic with worry. Felt very guilty (and worried) when we dropped him off at the vets, but within weeks he had calmed down both out and at home. My cousins dogs op had the opposite effect so be warned that it not a guaranteed solution and you should also persist with the training. I think its just us humans (especially the men) that find this decision difficult. Good Luck

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
" thanks for your answers. i met someone in the park in london today who said it was irresponsible not to have him done as he could run off after a bitch. i did understand where he was coming from as there isnt that much danger in the country where we walk. so dilemma do i get him done or not. i couldnt bear to lose him through my inaction or indecision. "

And for me, this is exactly the reason that unfortunately I always advise pet owners to castrate their males, simply because some bitch owners are utterly irresponsible and walk their in season females around other dogs in confined walking areas, and you just have no control over them doing so.

The problem being you never have a problem till suddenly, one day, you have a problem!

Its more the timing of the castration that is so very difficult and debateable. In an ideal world, for me, its not till around 12 - 16 months of age. But you can never guarantee you won't have a very negative sexual experience (IE meeting even one full in season bitch) before that time.

If only bitch owners (and I am a bitch owner) knew the power they weald in leaving their girls entire and walking them whilst in season! One negative experience can ruin a young dog almost for life, because if a bitch obsession occurs (and believe me it can form very quickly) castration won't cure it, as it has become a habit.

For me, if your dog lives in a rural setting where meeting in season females is unlikely because you have so much space to walk in alone, then fine, leave him entire. But I feel responsible pet dog owners are pretty much forced by irresponsible bitch owners to castrate in towns where dogs are crushed into very limited walking spaces.

Di

·
Registered
602 Posts
I heartily agree with Di. I was holding out for 12 months and Hudson wasn't a randy dog at all. He was very excitable and a nightmare on the lead before then but I wanted to wait.

Well all that was taken out of my hands the day an in season bitch was allowed to roam free around the yard I keep my horses. She stuck her bum in his face and he had a go - didn't get very far because I caught him just in time. The following day he spent 5 hours trying to hump his spayed friend. The day after that he was booked in for the snip.

Best thing I ever did. No intention of breeding from him, I just want a pet dog to have fun with out on walks and snuggle with on the sofa at night. And that's exactly what I've got now.

·
Administrator
21,783 Posts
i met someone in the park in london today who said it was irresponsible not to have him done as he could run off after a bitch.
This is true. I kept running off after bitches, but they kept hitting me over the head with their handbags! :cry:

John :wink:

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
JohnW said:
i met someone in the park in london today who said it was irresponsible not to have him done as he could run off after a bitch.
This is true. I kept running off after bitches, but they kept hitting me over the head with their handbags! :cry:

John :wink:
Sorry John, but brilliant :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
I imagine if they are 'irresponsible bitches' you chase them all the harder ;-) ;-) You men! ;-)

Di

1 - 20 of 34 Posts