Labradors Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Am just doing a bit of research on the net, as i want to get a couple of good books to learn more about my puppy Bradley. I've seen quite a few good books, some that give details on what your dog thinks of you, and how their minds work, from tips all about the labrador breed.

Anyone know of any good, all round books, which they can recommend, i would just like to know a few training tips, a bit about how a dogs mind works, what we can do to be a perfect owner, (i don't want much do i! lol)

Anyway, any recommendations anyone?

:wink:

Much Appreciated

Bradleysmum

·
Registered
286 Posts
Lab Books

Labrador retrievers for Dummies by Joel Walton

Your Lab's Life by Virginia Parker Guidry

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Labrador Retrievers by Margaret H. Bonham

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Owning, Raising and Training a Labrador Retriever (The Complete Idiot's Guide Pet Series)
Joel Walton, Eve Adamson

The Essential Labrador Retriever (Essential Guide S.)
by Book House Howell

Guide to Owning a Labrador Retriever
by Richard T. Burrows

Check out www.amazon.co.uk and search on Labrador retriever

HTH

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have The Idiot's Guide. I gave my mother my copy of the Lab for Dummies and Your Lab's Life when she acquired her Lab Tina. I have read the others except for the training book from the library, which is a lot richer due to my patronage. The training book is next.

Almost any book on labradors will be helpful either because the pictures are just inspiring or will at least offer a tidbit to check out elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
For those with a new puppy it's got to be The Perfect Puppy by Gwen Bailey - I've even heard of a breeder that includes a copy with the puppy pack she gives new owners.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
The Perfect Puppy

lablover said:
For those with a new puppy it's got to be The Perfect Puppy by Gwen Bailey - I've even heard of a breeder that includes a copy with the puppy pack she gives new owners.
Hi there

Even though we don't have our puppy yet, we do have a copy of this book and it is great - lots of good advice, just can't wait to try it out!

All the best,
Nicola.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Ahem cough cough

Well I know of a good book about getting and raising a new puppy...along with the adventures they had...along with a whole host of other anecdotes about other stuff.

It is very funny and contains the infamous '10 Commandments of Dog'

Private Message me and I'll sort you out (looks around furtively to make sure nobody else is listening)

John

www.marsupialelvis.com

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi,

I found 'Excel-erated Learning' by Pamela J Reid very good for explaining how dogs learn and 'The Culture Clash' by Jean Donaldson good for explaing things from a dogs point of view

Rosie

·
Registered
180 Posts
The Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson is -the- best book on my bowing dog book shelf, it challlenges the whole "make your dog believe that you are a dog and you're top of the pack" theory and I love it!
Must be time for yet another re-read actually...
Clare
PS: If anyone fancies a not so serious non training read The Pawprints of History - Dogs and the Course of Human Events by Stanley Coren is a nice lighter doggie read to enjoy whilst curled up with your favourite canine, it picks famous people from history and tells stories of how their dogs supposedly influenced the people and historical events.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Totally agree with The Culture Clash - a must read. Also like Don't Shoot the Dog - useful for understanding positive reinforcement and shaping behaviours.
And agree - The Perfect Puppy is a must for new owners. :)

·
Registered
364 Posts
Not much help in owning a Lab i must admit, but I still think "White Fang" by Jack London is the best dog book ever! :lol:

Seriously though, I have to agree about "The Culture Clash", great book!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts