Labradors Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

This may or may not work for you & your lab, however - if you are having a problem on your walks, with your lab picking up small stones/sticks and other items - give them something they are allowed to carry instead.

Although our lab Bradley has got out of the habit of picking stuff up now, he will still go of track a little if he sees something that catches his eye, but just recently, before we set out on our walk, we give him something to carry and he loves it! It takes his mind of picking up anything else anyway and looks as proud as punch to be helping us out!

He normally carries one of these items;

A frisbee

His ball

Item from the shop such as box of choccies (the other day he was walking through the town centre with a box of after eight mints looking so pleased with himself!)

Small bottle of water

Give it a go anyway, let me know how it goes. :wink:

Bye for now,

Julie

·
Registered
421 Posts
Great idea!

I also find that when Barney is carrying something... his tiny little mind can only cope with that, so any thoughts of sniffing passing dogs, jumping up at strangers or any of those other things that you would rather him not do...don't happen!

John

Shakespeare My Butt!
Taking fun seriously

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Hi julie...

i did try giving Frodo somethng to carry but the distraction were more inviting...he bascially like to play with forbidden stuff... he'll drop his ball or bottle for a pigeon feather or stone or stick.... and he'll drop his bottle and go and pinch the bottle of security guards :roll: ..... and after pinching he gets bored within 1 yes ONE minute lolz....

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Vidhya,

Aww well done for trying, i must admit Brad had a very short attention span when he was younger, he seems to have matured alot just recently, enough to carry something in his mouth anyway..without diving off for something else!

We've been sat outside alot recently due to the weather being so warm, and he has been very sneaky, if we have cold drinks, ice cream anything like that, and we put them down next to where we are sitting, he will casually walk by, sit down next to them and when we're not looking eat them! Cheeky monkey! He was after Dave's beer yesterday, trying to get his tongue in the bottle!! :lol: :lol:

These labs hey - never a dull moment is there.

How's the temperature where you are ?

Hope it's not too hot for you.

Talk to you soon,

Julie

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
hi julie....

thanks for your reply... I hope this habit wears off as frodo matures...i do remember a thread in our prev forum where you said that brad wud get bored of toys very quickly and you had to hide them and give it to him in rotations... this is something i still do.... :lol: ...hopefully he'll change....

just wondering what wud happen if brad does lap up the beer.... :wink:

Julie the weather here is HOT... Its a FURNACE out here in Mumbai.... :oops: :wink:

Regards

·
Registered
12,149 Posts
hello julie and dave

My cross bred bitch tara is pain in that department because she has always had a fettish for picking up stones, however hard Ive tried she will not break the habit, I think I have tried all sorts of things, thankfully the others are not learning from her in the short spate of time that we have ahd her as she is a rescued dog. :lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts