Labradors Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the first time EVER we've had a tick on one of our dogs.

Found a very engorged little bugger inside Cooper's ear.
Thankfully we had a First Aid Kit which I'd made up and a brand new tick remover was close to hand.
Pretty sure I got the whole thing out with no head detachment as it was crawling around the worktop before I splatted it.

Recommend to all --- BE PREPARED!!! Thankfully we had what we needed close to hand.

Now we just need to keep an eye on the little fella hoping he's got no toxins etc

·
Premium Member
2,324 Posts
Yep, I have a dog first aid box with several tick removers in there, it usually goes in the van with me if I'm out for any period of time, eg the whole day at an event, or if I'm away for a few days. Lots of useful bits in there including antiseptic spray/cream, manuka honey, dressings and vet wrap amongst other things.

·
Administrator
22,041 Posts
Lyme Disease is the obvious one. Limping (caused by joint stiffness.) Lethargy. Swollen lymph nodes. High temperature. Basically any change from the normal.

Back in the days of instructing at dog clubs I had so many people bring their dogs to me with ticks to be removed, but I never knew any of the dogs fall ill, though I have known a couple of farmers who have had problems. So yes, there is a risk, but it's very low.

·
Premium Member
9,319 Posts
Canine Babesiosis is very possible too. Look out for lethargy, pale gums (do a capillary refill test), off food, dark urine, raised temperature. With any lab it’d normally be easy to spot…call vets immediately.

Ticks are proving a nightmare here. I’ve found ticks on my oldie that rarely even leaves the house except to toilet. I can only think they’re dropping off trees and onto the lawn where she snoozes.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Three days post tick removal and Coops seems fine so far -- all paws and fingers crossed.

Any sort of time frame as to when I can stand down from code red on heightened awareness and checking him every hour!!!! ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
We lived on Exmoor for 13 years and our lab had them daily. A quick turn to the left and pull and they were out. Same with the cats. Try not to panic- any symptoms straight to the vet, same with people- circular rash and flu like symptoms approx 6 weeks after being bitten.
Those little buggers r everywhere.

·
Registered
Labrador
28 Posts
Ah we don’t have a first aid kit, so need to get one together.

Could people list what they have, including brands that are suitable for pets. Also any other recommendations.

Thanks for any advice/help in advance.😊

·
Administrator
22,041 Posts
It might surprise you to know that I have very little in my first aid bag! Two reasons, so many things have a limited shelf life, and also the house contains many things as standard. For example, tea bags for eye infections and salt water as an antiseptic. Even a knob of honey to ease the throat with Kennel cough. OK, none of these are to most powerful of medicines, but as emergency first aid they certainly help. And more importantly, will not cause problems with anything my vet might prescribe. A kitchen roll comes in handy all the time!! Remember, this is first aid and only aimed at treating minor problems or stabilising the dog while you get it to the vet.

So, the first aid box. Chloe and I share one.

Absorbent dressings, always useful and providing thy are in sealed packets will last virtually for ever.

Cotton buds are useful, though I'm not a lover of cotton wool, it's too easy to leace cotton threads in a wound

Standard bandage, if nothing else is useful for muzzling a panicking dog.

A roll of micropore, ok, it looses it's sticky after a while, but it's cheap enough.

A roll of conforming bandage. A word of warning. Because it stretches be careful you dont pull it too tight or you could shut off the blood supply. I nearly made that mistake the first time I used it.

A pair of the rounded ended nurses scissors. safe to use around a struggling dog. Ideal for trimming fur from around a wound.

A pair of tweezers. Being an engineer I made mine years ago out of two pieces of broken hacksaw blade, a small nut and a rivet!!!

A good pair of claw clippers. I prefer the scissor type and only two makes are good enough as far as I'm concerned. Mars or Millers Forge. It pays to go for the best, they hold their edge better.

A tick removal tool. You may never need one, but it's cost is negligible and it will last for ever.

And thats about all in my box. There was some Brolene eye drops and some Metacam, left overs from when they were last needed. I kept them for a couple of months after their use by date then threw them away. You can over run by a little, manufacturers always err on the safe side, but be sensible and dont push it too far.

·
Premium Member
2,324 Posts
To add to John's list I have antiseptic spray and ointment, camrosa cream, colloidal silver sprays and medical grade manuka honey.

I have a variety of bandages and vet wrap, and other stuff not necessarily related to first aid as such but more breeding.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts