Labradors Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In all my years of having dogs i have never seen a tick ( mind you still havent)

Today OH found a tick on Baileys head and although he used a tick remover to get it out the head broke off (yuk)

So he had to get the tweezers and try and get the head out, from a screaming cavi, not easy.

We are now w0rried that he still may have some of the tick left, although we can not see any.

we have put some hibi scrub on his head but is there anything else we can do, and what do we need to look for now?

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
I messed up the first one I ever tried to remove too, I used tweezers and the green hook things are SO much better. Thankfully the poor dog didn't suffer any ill effects!

Lyme Disease is the thing I was concerned about, though I'd have to google what to look out for symptom wise. Hopefully anything left behind will make its way out of the body in time?

When you used the green hook, did you get the tick body hooked in properly and then twist it gently to get the tick to "release" before removing it? I've removed a few and even for someone as squeamish as me, the green hooks are great - I got two different sizes of hook in the packet. I did get the vet to show me how to remove the first one properly.

Eurgh, have gone very itchy now.

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Oh YUK!! horrid things ticks. Did OH manage to get the head out? That seems to be dodgy bit! Good luck!

Marianne

·
Premium Member
17,440 Posts
Whenever I've removed a tick with a remover so far I've been pretty sure the head has come out too. I usually spray antiseptic wound wash on to clean the area and just keep an eye to make sure nothing weird happens around there for a while. Luna usually has a little red spot where the tick was for no more than a day after I've removed it.

I'd imagine if any of the tick is left in poor Bailey's head then a lump/redness/soreness will form over the next day or so as his body tries to get rid. At this point I'd have to call the vet for advice as have no experience!!

Hope that Bailey's tick is all gone!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts