Labradors Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

Murphy is now 20 weeks and enjoy his 20 minute walks with new smells and new places, we put his Tick collar on this morning which he is less than impressed with.

is there an alternative option to Tick collars or is the best thing for him and he just needs to get used to it?

thanks Mark

·
Administrator
20,711 Posts
I never use a tick collar. Some spot on flea treatments also cover ticks, but again I never use these as a regular thing. I'm just not happy dosing my dogs up with drugs to treat something they don't, and probably wont get. Amy was never wormed or flea treated in her lifetime. Chloe did get a flea so she was treated, but only until she was clear. As to ticks, my dogs are always in sheep fields, and we have both Munjac and Roe deer in out wood, but none of my dogs have ever picked up a tick. Lets face it, we don't put a tick collar on ourselves, yet we are just as susceptible as our dogs!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
John, as always we value your opinion and appreciate sharing your knowledge, will remove the tick collar and use a branded spot treatment purely for peace of mind

·
Premium Member
8,835 Posts
I don’t like them, they have to be tight and touching the skin to be effective and it spoils the coat. I’ve only used a spot on treatment when they go to kennels or I have a housesitter. I groom them regularly, they have a daily garlic capsule too.

Reactions: JayJay13

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don’t like them, they have to be tight and touching the skin to be effective and it spoils the coat. I’ve only used a spot on treatment when they go to kennels or I have a housesitter. I groom them regularly, they have a daily garlic capsule too.
Thank you fo your reply and advice...can you recommend a garlic capsule and would it be ok for a puppy at 20 weeks ?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I have resorted to Seresto collars for both my Labs as we were inundated with ticks last year. I was finding at least one or two every week. The old boy also seems to be attracting the odd flea which I presume is down to his weakened state of health as we've never had a problem before. Neither of my dogs are used to wearing a collar, they scratched at it for a while but soon forgot it was there.

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
No tick or flea treatments here either, although I do put natural preventatives in their food.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been using the Seresto collar for a couple of years and really like it :D I am very satisfied with this feature of the collar as it considerably reduces the itching and irritation on my dog’s skin and it doesn't give out any smell from contained repellant chemicals.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts