Labradors Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A reprieve and may be a break through!

I rang the gentleman who runs the dog sitters we will be using for Tia when I have to go back to work. I work part time and DH's work is mainly weekends and days when I'm at home but it does sometimes fall that he is on a job when I'm at work so I'd organised for Tia to go to a dog sitter. He's arranged for the dog sitter to have Tia this afternoon to give me a break and he also came round and gave me similar advice to what I've had from members of the forum. It seems universal that weetabix is a bad idea!

I've started putting some of your ideas in to practice in respect of Tia's crate and i made two short trips put this morning. I put a change of bedding in her crate and some of her favourite toys. Also I set the radio up next to her and tuned it to Radio 4 and left it on very quietly and left with no fuss.

I heard her start to howl when I went out of the door, but when I came back all was quiet!!! She was quietly curled up. I opened the door of her crate without making eye contact both times and walked off with no fuss and she quietly followed me and waited until I acknowledged her! I could have cried. :D

I've started offering her treats in the crate and have fed her in it today and I'll keep going with those things as they all seem to be working.

I've also priced up a DAP plug at my vets and they have one in so I'm going to collected it later.

I read one or two posts where people say that they've picked up sleeping puppies and popped them in the crate for their naps, but Tia doesn't seem to nap much in the day and when she does she wakes up as soon as I go near her so I wondered how this came about?

Fingers crossed for me, folks but I feel much better for all the advice and help I've had from you and from my dog sitter chap. Night, night all - I'm off for a sleep now - heaven!!!

Thanks 8O :lol:

·
Registered
646 Posts
Go get your head down!

Keep at it and you will be fine.

Our pups start crate training this weekend, although they wont be sleeping in it, (I dont think there is enough room for 7!) we will be introducing them to it individually during the day.

Hopefully all will be well!

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Thats great Karen, much more positive news, so pleased for you!! I was one of those lucky people who could pick up a sleeping pup and put her in her crate.. but then Happy is (and was!) the laziest lump ever who adores her sleep, so it was def more luck than judgement!

Enjoy your sleep!!!

·
Registered
946 Posts
Glad to read that you are feeling a little better and hope you had a good sleep :D

Sorry no advice to offer as I have never had a pup but would like to say that I think you have done really really well - I would have caved in and made space in the bed, anything for some sleep 8O

?

·
0 Posts
I read one or two posts where people say that they've picked up sleeping puppies and popped them in the crate for their naps, but Tia doesn't seem to nap much in the day and when she does she wakes up as soon as I go near her so I wondered how this came about?
Not all pups are the same. Mojo never slept unless I was right next to her, my Collie never slept AT ALL and the Pood only cat napped. I could never have moved any of them while they were asleep as they never slept that deeply. However Oyster and Tara slept the Sleep of the Dead and I could have done anything to them while they were sound-o. All different. :wink:

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Ruby was (and still is) a napper, she slept a lot as a small pup and although she too would wake up when I picked her up she was usually so sleepy that when I placed her in the crate she would just lay down and nod off again.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To Milly's_Dad - I'm beginning to wish we'd looked around a little more before settling on a puppy from this breeder. We had registered for a puppy with another breeder originally but found, after waiting some months for a puppy, that we had been expected to put a deposit down although nothing was said to us about this - naivety on our part.

However, Tia's breeder hadn't taken the steps you are looking to take with Milly's pup. By the way we are just up the A61 from you in Dronfield Woodhouse.

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
Hang on in there, Karen. I hope you have managed to get a bit more sleep this afternoon whilst Tia is out.

I remember both with Charlie and with my children just how hellish sleepless nights could be, and I was lucky. All were pretty good really. It just seemed like forever at the time, and I am sure I was hell to live with.

Once Charlie had taken to his crate we did not look back. He slept through from then onwards.

Sounds like a good and knowlegeable dog sitter you have lined up. :D

Helen.

·
Registered
646 Posts
We are neighbour's We live in Tapton.

EDIT:

By the way, I have sent you a Private Message with some info you may find useful.

Good luck and if you need a hand, let me know.

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
after waiting some months for a puppy, that we had been expected to put a deposit down although nothing was said to us about this - naivety on our part.
Not necessarily - I don't take deposits for pups until I meet the prospective owners and they meet my pups from the 4 week mark - there are so many variables over which breeders have no control, I fail to understand how breeders can take deposits.

Most breeders seem to do very little when it comes to the issues surrounding night-time, maybe it gets lost in all the 'excitement' :roll:

Having been to hell and back with more than one of my pups, I include quite a large section in my puppy pack on this very subject, plus topics such as house and garden puppy proofing, all of which the owners get when they leave a deposit (or sometimes before).

It is quite possible, particularly for those breeders who move the pups to an external 'puppy house' at 4 weeks, and possibly kennel pups they bring in, that they don't have the absolute recognition of this problem as someone who lives indoors and has their dogs with them - this doesn't make them a bad breeder - and I am sure if people like yourself fed this back, they would hopefully be happy to address it with their next litter and prospective owners.

There is no point trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes, because with so many pups, you simply can't get away from the fact they are going to be little horror bags at night and it can drive you to distraction :(

I crate trained my last litter from around 5.5 / 6 weeks, and they all slept in various pairs or alone each night up until they left - for various reasons and I do believe it made a difference when they went to the new homes - but again, this is not something that everyone has the space, time or capacity to do.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts