Labradors Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading about Thornit years ago, I have been putting a tiny pinch into the ear canal if I've seen the dog or cat scratching it's ears and so far I've had no problem with this. However I was talking to a Dog Groomer this morning and she said you shouldn't put it in the ear canal as this can cause it to stick to the wax and any build up in there, sometimes making matters worse :?. She recommended putting a tiny amount just on the ear flap, which is where the mites live which cause the itchiness. Any infection after that is often due to the inflammation brought on by the scratching. She also recommended putting a small amount on the dogs feet too, as while scratching, it can transfer the mites from it's feet to it's ears and back again.

I know Thornit has no AB's in, in fact I think it does just kill any mites, so stopping any itching and giving the ear a chance to heal by itself.

I'm sure the leaflet that came with my last lot of Thornit recommended putting it in the ear canal for 2-3 days then flushing the lot out with an ear cleaner....but of course I threw the leaflet away, so I can't check. :roll:

So how do you use your Thornit and how did you find out how to use it?

·
Registered
10,815 Posts
I put a tiny bit on the handle of a teaspoon and drop it into brooke's ear canal once a month, this was after months of infections and cleaners and anti biotics, I changed her food and do this with thornit and *touch wood* she has been fine for ages now.

No idea what I done with my instructions now though :roll:

·
Premium Member
21,240 Posts
right found the instruction leaflet, it reads;

Any excess moisture can be gently mopped up with a cotton wool swab.

DO NOT REMOVE WAX. Under normal circumstances poweder should NOT be put in ears but the brown wax as a cork.

Get the animal in a good position lying on its side. With cats this can be difficult and help maybe needed. Give the animal some love (yep it really does say that), apply a pinch of powder using the end of a spoon, Lightly dust around the inner ear avoiding the ear hole. GEntly massage it in with your fingers from the outside. apply Thornit twice a day. Relief comes from the first dose, but the treatment should continue for 1-5 days (usually 3. When the brown wax starts to move-stop this means the mite is dead and the wax will come away, push out the powder and leaving a clean ear. A pinch of Thornit once a week will keep the animal free from re infection.

For breeds with long ears it is advisable to dip the ends im Thornit once a week.

You can also use Thornit over the body for intense scratching,around the Anus and also between the paws

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
Yep as Nat says, the instructions actually say NOT to put it directly into the ear canal.

Interesting what your groomer says about making wax worse as I think the thornit has definitely bulked Nells gunk (I gave it when I first noticed her whiffy ears)....her ears 'look' beautifully clean but the stubborn wax is still hanging on right down there in the canal and the vet says it's clumped up in a nice ball.

?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks folks....No more dropping it in any ears for me from now on then. I shall just sprinkle a little on the flaps instead. :wink:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts