Labradors Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
spaghetti arms :D

Sydney has 'personal space issues' as in he does not recognise anybody else's personal space. If we are sitting on the sofa he puts his whole head/neck on to your lap (as far as he can possibly get without lifting his paws) walking around the house his nose is practically attached to your bum he is that close to you.

So how do i teach personal space. With Pud 'away' works and he will sit a fair distance in front of you, Sydney has to be physically removed each time and at nearly 10 months it is a bit of a pain. It's annoying when you are dressed for work ready to leave the house and sydney is desperately trying to wipe his mucky mush mouth on you in a bid to get as good as possible (this really does not go down well with my housemate) and in the kitchen his nose is in every cupboard you open.

So how do i teach personal space? I'm thinking in the kitchen the way to start will be teaching him a point that he cannot cross e.g. by his crate when we are cooking but really not sure what to do about the rest. ignoring him/telling him to go away/physically moving him does not work - he just keeps coming back tail wagging (he is v endearing but it is annoying at times)

·
Registered
10,127 Posts
I 'block and shuffle' my dogs! If they are too 'in my face', I walk towards them facing them, but not giving them eye-contact, so they have to back-up. If you do it repeatedly then they aren't getting anything back from being in the area where you don't want them to be, but you have to be pretty consistent. But I'd suggest using a word to 'invite' Sydney close too (at your convenience), as he seems to be the sort of chap that needs a lot of contact - bless him!

Becs and The Gang

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Personal space? With a Lab around? You're joking, aren't you?? :lol:

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:D I think I am so used to Mr Independent Pud who prefers his own company in his basket in the hall to spending an evening with me :D At the moment Pud is in the hall in his favourite spot and sydney is at my feet.

i'll try the block and shuffle thanks Becs

·
Registered
757 Posts
Clairelovestlc said:
I've jut given up and accepted that Ruby MUST have body contact at all times!
Me too, having one heavy head on my arm only being able to type with one hand!!!!!! lol Is this love????????

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
whoops double posted!

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
....does he have hungry eyes? 8)

I say 'beep beep' :lol: as a little warning before they might be unceremoneousily shoved.....after a while they learn when you say 'beep beep' it means get out of the way please.

Nellie lies behind the glass door when I leave the room and so I have to gently push the door open and slide her body along the laminate to get through....she doesn't budge...we're still working on 'beep beep' being understood :roll:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts