Labradors Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We’ve owned 2 labradors over the last 25 years, both bitches (one yellow and one chocolate). We lost our choccie girl in February and I’m missing doggy company so much. We’ve had both from puppies and my choccie girl was a nightmare for the first 2 months with us. She whined at night for at least 5 weeks even though we ignored it and I was very business like for the early hours toileting with her and made sure it wasn’t play time etc. I was so sleep deprived by week 5 that I could have given her back to her breeder! She finally started to settle when our vet suggested using a DAP Defuser 24/7 behind her crate. She wasn’t a massive chewer thankfully ( our yellow girl was though). We’re now thinking about a new lab and initially looked at adopting but there are very few coming into our local breed rescues and the ones that are arriving into rescue are being paired with older retired couples who can understandably give them lots of attention. I’ve realised now that many so called lockdown dogs are being sold on the internet for similar costs to puppies but with very little information about any issues etc. I’m in my 50s with a 17 year old still at home and hubby who works away but does have chunks of time at home when he is here all of the time. I work part time and can do 2 days working at home a week and we used doggy daycare for our choccie girl and would do so again. I’m now thinking about whether we should just bite the bullet and have a new puppy, but I’m dreading the thought of having 5 weeks of he’ll like we did with Tia most of which fell on my shoulders and would do so again as I’m the light sleeper who suffers with anxiety! I’m talking myself out of this before I start but I’ve so loved my Labrador girlies. They’ve saved my sanity over the years and have been so worth it.Help - I’m looking for reassurance I think 😳🤨

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
Just do it. 😀😀 👍👍

Reactions: Deboragh

·
Premium Member
5,471 Posts
Do it. All puppies are different so don't assume you'll have 5 weeks of disturbed nights. A good breeder will give you advice about how to settle your puppy in the early days (or rather, nights). I was 69 when I welcomed my last puppy into my home so you're just a youngster. :):)

·
Premium Member
1,892 Posts
I'm in my early 50s and bringing home another puppy hopefully later this year, ok I live on my own, well, I have five dogs currently, and work full time, but manage to work it around them. I'll be carrying on having pups until I feel I'm not fit enough to cope with them, and then I might switch to fostering for rescue. Go for it!

·
Registered
Baymax, b.Nov2020
170 Posts
Do it! :) You'll never regret it. You might loose a few hours sleep, a few chairs legs ;) but you also know what the much greater rewards are, right?

·
Registered
Hailey, Yellow Lab
116 Posts
Do it! :) You'll never regret it. You might loose a few hours sleep, a few chairs legs ;) but you also know what the much greater rewards are, right?
We’ve owned 2 labradors over the last 25 years, both bitches (one yellow and one chocolate). We lost our choccie girl in February and I’m missing doggy company so much. We’ve had both from puppies and my choccie girl was a nightmare for the first 2 months with us. She whined at night for at least 5 weeks even though we ignored it and I was very business like for the early hours toileting with her and made sure it wasn’t play time etc. I was so sleep deprived by week 5 that I could have given her back to her breeder! She finally started to settle when our vet suggested using a DAP Defuser 24/7 behind her crate. She wasn’t a massive chewer thankfully ( our yellow girl was though). We’re now thinking about a new lab and initially looked at adopting but there are very few coming into our local breed rescues and the ones that are arriving into rescue are being paired with older retired couples who can understandably give them lots of attention. I’ve realised now that many so called lockdown dogs are being sold on the internet for similar costs to puppies but with very little information about any issues etc. I’m in my 50s with a 17 year old still at home and hubby who works away but does have chunks of time at home when he is here all of the time. I work part time and can do 2 days working at home a week and we used doggy daycare for our choccie girl and would do so again. I’m now thinking about whether we should just bite the bullet and have a new puppy, but I’m dreading the thought of having 5 weeks of he’ll like we did with Tia most of which fell on my shoulders and would do so again as I’m the light sleeper who suffers with anxiety! I’m talking myself out of this before I start but I’ve so loved my Labrador girlies. They’ve saved my sanity over the years and have been so worth it.Help - I’m looking for reassurance I think 😳🤨
I'm in my mid 60s, took home a yellow Lab puppy 2 months ago. Feel very lucky to find a puppy during the pandemic. Overall we're having a blast with her. I recommend you go ahead and do it-- you're still young at 50+ !

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
I was going to say "Just go for it" but I see you've already made the leap.

1,000%will be worth it and absolutely brilliant to hear of a lab pup going to an experienced lab home

Good luck

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was going to say "Just go for it" but I see you've already made the leap.

1,000%will be worth it and absolutely brilliant to hear of a lab pup going to an experienced lab home

Good luck
Thank you very much. life without a lab just felt wrong so Maya has come to us. Thank you for the comment about being experienced. I’m realising all over again how much I don’t know and how hard it can be but she is just beautiful and her character is coming through nicely. She’s much more confident and outgoing than my last lab so it’s a learning curve but we’ll keep on learning from each other.

·
Registered
Hailey, Yellow Lab
116 Posts
Thank you very much. life without a lab just felt wrong so Maya has come to us. Thank you for the comment about being experienced. I’m realising all over again how much I don’t know and how hard it can be but she is just beautiful and her character is coming through nicely. She’s much more confident and outgoing than my last lab so it’s a learning curve but we’ll keep on learning from each other.
Great news, congratulations on your new puppy!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts