Labradors Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

I'm currently thinking of getting a lab bitch as I live on my own and miss my border collie terribly. (died suddenly, aged 7, about a year ago). I do work, however only 2 miles from my house. If I'm working out all day in the car, my parents a mile away will look after her. I still have some concerns about leaving her though.
My Border collie was left all day from being a pup, although not bought by me, but my ex-wife. I inherited the dog in the relationship and bonded very well. She was already used to being left, and was a very happy dog. How long could a lab be left for? Of course, i would gradually increase the amount of alone time.

I am also being told to feed them 4 times a day, but i have seen pedigree puppy food which gives recommendations of twice pwe day. Who's right?

Any comments, tips, info would be greatly appreciated, as would tips of breeders in the yorkshire area.

thankyou

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hi and welcome

Be sure to read up on the breed. Know what the breed standard is and is not, and what health issues are common to the Labrador retriever. Also know the difference between the puppymill, backyard breeder and a responsible breeder.
Several thoughts on Labs:
Labs like to be with their people
Labs when young or really bored will chew like they are part beaver. They need toys. Not that they will ignore them but dog proof your house.
Labs shed. A lot. Lab hair is a condiment as well as a fashion statement.

As you live alone I would suggest possibly re-homing an adult Lab. They are usually housebroken, have manners and maybe some training and can hold out for severals more than a puppy. A puppy requires a lot of attention and if you are not home for awhile, it is not fair to the puppy even though you will have some help no need on straining it.

When you do get your Lab, get it at a time when you can clear your social and work schedule and really bond with the dog.

Good fortune

HTH

Cheers

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hi Del
I have to echo what Labdad has said.
Having a puppy and working full time away from home doesn't really work unless you have a huge amount of help and support and take a couple of weeks off yourself in order to bond with the pup. It's not really something I'd advise. There was a time when I went for longer than I would have liked without a lab purely because my circumstances not right. Getting an older rescue may well be a solution. Most rescues won't rehome if the dog is going to be left for more than four hours in the day, but if you have family back up, they may well be open to it, particularly if they have a dog which is used to being left.
A young puppy needs feeding four times a day, dropping to three at about 12 weeks, and two by about six months. I then keep them on two meals throughout their adult life, although some only feed once a day.
HTH :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.