Labradors Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

My and my partner are thinking of getting a dog, preferably a Cream Labrador. We would be looking to get the dog as a puppy.

How big would one of these grow to as an adult?

Does anyone know any breeders in the north east?

How much should we expect to pay?

Thanks

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi Littlened,
Please, please don't think I am being rude or arrogant, but I strongly suggest you find out all you can about the breed before you think of buying one. If you don't know what an adult Labrador looks like you are unlikely to know its traits. They are boisterous, mischievous puppies, they are late in maturing, they need a lot of mental and physical exercise, they moult quite heavily etc. Don't be beguiled by the cute Andrex puppies. Talk to people who have labs, perhaps go to a show and talk to the breeders. Read books about the breed so you are certain it is the type of dog you want. If you make a mistake, you and your pup will suffer the consequencies.

Rosie

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hi Littlened
I have to echo all that Rosie has said.
If you are really keen on getting a dog, whether a labrador or any other breed, why not take a trip to Crufts next weekend. Visit the discover dogs area, they will have lots of different breeds of dogs and you can meet the dogs, talk to their owners and you will get an insight in their different breed traits, and hopefully find a breed of dog which will suit you.
HTH :)

·
Registered
244 Posts
A couple of books to read: The Perfect Puppy, by Gwen Bailey - I have this and it is excellent.
Also: Before You Get Your Puppy, by Ian Dunbar. Haven't read this myself but have seen it highly recommended on other dog sites.

These should give you some idea of what you're letting yourself in for.

Sophie

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
We bought a general dog breed book at the outset and then read up the information on the breeds we had originally thought we would like to make sure their temprament, exercise needs, etc would suit our lifestyle.

We decided on a labrador and I bought a book on the breed and read that, just to make 100% sure that it would definitely be the right choice - it is essential to read up on the breed as there's lots of information about hip dysplasia, the tests the parents should have had done before you buy a puppy from that mating and the amount of exercise a puppy should get which many new owners of labradors do not know about and indeed I didn't until I did my research.

Once we had made a firm decision i contacted breeders and also read a lot of information on the web. We decided then on the colour.

In our research, pups were generally for sale between £400 and £600.

Also be prepared to spend a lot on essentials for a new puppy, like insurance, vets/vaccination fees, toys, feeding, grooming, bedding, etc. It all adds up. And I can also recommend the Perfect Puppy book, full of useful information and training guides.

And, they don't stay small (or as well behaved!) like the Andrex pup for long :lol: There's a lot of information on this site too which will hopefully help you to make the right choice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts