Labradors Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

I have been thinking seriously about getting a pup for the last year and would welcome any advice.

As I work from an office (self employed) I would have to take the dog into work with me.

At the moment I cycle to and from the office every day - What advice has anyone about cycling with a dog (once out of puppyhood)? Is this practical?

Thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
We have cycled with Jessie on cycle ways, she has had no problem and seems to really enjoy it. We did wait until she was about 18 months and fully trained before doing this so that we knew she would stay with us no matter what. We have also seen labs in trailers - the ones designed for children that are fully enclosed. Contact me via my website if you want more advice.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hi Labnewbie
Welcome to the forum.
The main things to bear in mind are:
What would you do for the first 18 months (do not do before this age due to risk to joints).
How far is the office, is the route on roads or footpaths or busy main roads. My personal feeling is that a dog should never be walked on a road off lead, there is always the potential (even with the best trained dog) to cause an accident.
What if, in spite of all your efforts to get a well bred pup, your dog does develop a problem? In spite of all the tests being done, there are no guarantees that you pup may not develop HD?
Do you work in the office every day. Doing it day in day out, is very different from the occasional outing, particularly if on roads, even with no problems, you are subjecting you dog's joints to levels they were not designed for.
Hope that gives you some ideas. :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gotta say I feel a bit discouraged now. My thoughts were I could incorporate exercising the dog/still using my office so I wouldnt be stuck working at home/and keep myself fit at the same time. I would use back roads and wouldnt cycle very fast so as not to knacker the dog's joints. The journey is about 2 miles twice a day. I would use a lead.
I thought this would be the ideal solution.

Is it really such a bad idea to want to do this? I have wanted a dog for years and there always seems to be a reason not to do it!! Ho hum.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Personally, I would not want to subject an adult labs joints to daily running on hard surfaces, much less a pup. Look at the problems it causes humans in spite of the high tec footwear.
If you have your heart set on it, can you not work around it - what about walking - it may take longer, but will be safer for the joints.
You'll have to make other arrangements until the dog is fully grown, because a pup should not have that amount of exercise. If you can't make other arrangements for the first year and a half, what about rescuing an adult lab?
HTH :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rescuing an adult lab is certainly a possible solution - as is walking into work (takes about half an hour)...thanks for the suggestions, i'm sure there is a way round the problem somehow.

One other thing - I run three times a week (two miles at the moment - will increase)...does the same concern about the joints apply - or is jogging an OK speed to go at for the dog's joints not to suffer?

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Hi
Sorry still certainly not advisable with a young puppy. Excercise has to be very restricted at a young age. Lablovers advice re a rescue lab is a much better idea than a puppy. Of course there would have to be homechecks and I am sure any rescue would want to know how long a dog was going to be left during the day, the max is usually 3 to 4hours for an older dog. Sorry to put a dampener on your ideas.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
HI
Lablover has beaten me to it. That is the site I was just going to tell you about. There is also North West Labrador Club that deals with Rescue. Glenys at the moment is also bringing Labs over from Ireland that need homing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts