Labradors Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Luna was hooked! There was a display put on by akna k9 academy at local fete, Luna and I were allowed a quick go at the end and really enjoyed it!! Picked up the info and had a quick chat with trainer at the end. We did some bits (tunnel, weave, low jumps) in the garden before she stress fractured her leg and now that the vets seem to think that her elbows are doing ok. I'm thinking that a bit of gentle agility while she's building muscle back up could be fun!

Any thoughts? Anyone heard of the academy (they have website if google)?

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
I don't know anything about agility, but just wanted to say WTG Luna - it sounds like loadsa fun :D

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
yay for agility - Z loves it :D We find 1-1 works best for us as we can take things entirely at our own pace without worrying about the rest of the class :D But there is a 1-1 trainer on my doorstep who is really cheap so it's a no-brainer. Go for it - and just make your own decisions about how much you want Luna to do.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I absolutely love agility, did it with Pip for a while, bought a tunnel, jumps and weaves and then Pip decided she couldn't be a***d to do it :evil: I told her I was going to swap her for a collie :lol:

·
Premium Member
17,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MyMillie said:
I absolutely love agility, did it with Pip for a while, bought a tunnel, jumps and weaves and then Pip decided she couldn't be a***d to do it :evil: I told her I was going to swap her for a collie :lol:
:lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I do agility with my Springer Spaniel Obi, and we absolutely love it!
We have just come back from 'the Mainland' where we went to two big competitions-the Kennel Club International and 'Dogs in Need Charity show'.
We had the best time ever and Obi got a good haul of rosettes :lol: :lol:

I'm sure Luna and yourself will have great fun, it's a wonderful feeling working together with your best buddy as a team :D

Have fun, and see you on the show circuit next year lol!!

XX

·
Premium Member
17,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well done Obi and you!!!!!

I think given the choice between agility and pet show at the local fete - the one we both enjoyed most was a no-brainer!!

Have fun, and see you on the show circuit next year lol!!
:lol: :lol: We'll see!! :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
17,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After season symptoms (that turned out not to be) the plans for agility were put on hold! But now.......! Sunday morning weather permitting :roll: we've found a club to go to! Let's hope she as good there as at good citizen training class!

Watch this space....!

·
Premium Member
17,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fun, fun, fun!!!

Luna's all over it! Just jumps, tunnel and weave today.
I need some practice in placing myself in the right place, on the right side of equipment, holding her toy in the right hand, handling her through the weaves and not falling over because busy watching her running and jumping and noticing things in my path :oops: :oops: :wink: ouch!

I've a feeling our Sunday mornings are now engaged!! Will have to find another day to take her for a swim!! Cos she pooped!

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Great to hear that you finally got Luna to agility :D

It sounds like you both had a great time :D

Agility started off as a sunday morning sport for me too-now it has taken over saturday afternoons, wednesday evenings and lots of home training in between. Also holidays abroad are out the window to make way for weekends camping in muddy fields :lol:

Don't worry about feeling uncoordinated to start with- I was awful and was lucky to have a kind and endlessly patient trainer-and dog for that matter haha!!

Please keep us updated on how you get on, agility is my very favorite subject :lol: :oops:

XXX

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
Great to hear you both had a fab time Laura, I`d lead Luna into it very gradually to begin with because of her past problems, give her muscles a chance to develop and give her the strength she needs in her legs :)

·
Premium Member
17,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
_Mary_ said:
Great to hear you both had a fab time Laura, I`d lead Luna into it very gradually to begin with because of her past problems, give her muscles a chance to develop and give her the strength she needs in her legs :)
Will do Mary! There were quite a lot of dogs so quite a bit of watching and learning and supporting! More tiring for Luna than exercising! I put her over the lowest jumps today to put less strain on her joints. Touch wood so far so good.... I would hate for us to end up in the bad old rest days again. Thankfully the only one limping after today is me! Feeling a little sore in the hip area this evening - the landing zone! :oops: :roll:

·
Premium Member
17,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
MyMillie said:
Great to hear you enjoyed it, I knew you would. Agility is loads of fun and even better if you have an enthusiastic dog :D
That is what impressed me most about today. Whilst waiting our turn Luna was just wanting to play with the other dogs! BUT sit her in front of a jump, off leash and she was totally focused on me! Even after finishing she collected her toy and celebrated with me off-leash! She could've run off to show-off with other dogs/people (which I expected!!) but she didn't!!! - Was a lovely feeling! She loves being 'worked'!

·
Premium Member
17,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
KMH said:
Well done Luna! Watch out though - agility is VERY adictive!!!!

Katy
.....hmmmm... yes.... sensing it could be!!!

·
Premium Member
17,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mastered a lowered A-frame, a collapsed tunnel and practised weaving today :D

Trainer told me today that if I gave her Luna for 2 weeks she'd have her up to competition standard! I'm not surprised! My lickle girl is a quick learner, a quick mover and enthusiastic! :D

She didn't say how long it would take for me to get up to competition standard :( :wink: My Luna is just going to have to be patient with me as she's not going anywhere!! :wink:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts