Labradors Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have lost count of the amount of puppy buyers who have phoned me up asking if I have any golden labs, white labs, cream labs & honey coloured labs the list goes on. My next door neighbour is forever nosing over the fence with her visitors to show them my cream pups and tell them how odd it is that when both parents are black I still had some cream ones thrown in there! I correct her everytime and say you mean 'yellow' and she ignores me and says cream again. Lol it is funny. Then when I took them to the vets for their health checks I met a lady in reception who has bred labs for years (so she says) and told me she loves Golden Labs and used to have a Red Fox. Not Fox Red, no this a new breed of dog, it must be a hybrid of the local dustbin scavenger and her pet Lab?!?! :?

Sorry for the rant, more of a joke, but just tickles me everytime! :D

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
I meet an old doggie walking friend the other and she asked where my lovely golden lab was, i told her all about Madison and that she was yellow...
She went onto to tell me that Madison was golden as that was her colour...Well her papers said yellow...lol.
She then had the cheek to say OMg you went choc, you can;t train them..... i shook my head and walked away with my untrainable baby walking prefectly on the leash minding his own business.. :lol:

G

·
Well I still think calling Labs YELLOW is a bit daft :wink: .... After all I've seen cream coloured ones, golden coloured ones, reddish/orange coloured ones but I've never see what I would describe as a YELLOW one. :wink: :lol:

Someone called Pickle Champagne coloured today....and I thought that was a lovely way to describe her colour. :D

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
I've often wondered why we get so bothered on LF when new members say golden or cream.....no one ever corrects anyone for saying fox red and that is also just a description of the shade of yellow :?

Sorry jojo82 that isn;t directed at you personally as I know your OP is lighthearted.....just mean in general people often correct newbies on LF.

Anyways, I must go feed my charcoal lab 8)

·
Premium Member
14,224 Posts
Aww I think that is a lovely description of Pickles colour Jules..

Personally I'm thinking about phoning around asking for a saffron lab....you don;t get many of that colour knocking about!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Though last night I was at the pub with one of my friends and her friends doing a quiz - when Maggie suddenly gets tickled by the thought of Bramble in the pub (seeing as he's a livewire..) so I point out that both are pretty good in pubs having had VERY misspent youths!!!

Conversation then naturally turns to what dogs I have so Maggie says "Golden Lab",

"Yellow" says I

"Oh" says one of the blokes "I like Goldens"

"Yellows" says I wondering whether I am actually saying anything or just imagining it....

"Yes" says the bloke "Goldens are lovely"....

I gave up.....

Eve Neo and Bramble

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is true Sarah as techinically fox red is a shade of yellow :oops: I stand corrected!

Donna I too am irritated when people pass judgement about choccie labs being impossible to train. It's all about the trainer, not the dog, escpecially not the dog's colour. I bet Di has issues with people saying that!?

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
_Jules_ said:
Well I still think calling Labs YELLOW is a bit daft :wink: .... After all I've seen cream coloured ones, golden coloured ones, reddish/orange coloured ones but I've never see what I would describe as a YELLOW one. :wink: :lol:

Someone called Pickle Champagne coloured today....and I thought that was a lovely way to describe her colour. :D
I think that too. I don't mind what they call Milo, she is yellow but if you look properly, she is' golden' :oops:

I know it is not 'politically correct' to call her golden but it doesn't bother me, personally. I never correct anybody, I just like the fact that they have commented on her.

Hayley x

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
JoJo82 said:
That is true Sarah as techinically fox red is a shade of yellow :oops: I stand corrected!

Donna I too am irritated when people pass judgement about choccie labs being impossible to train. It's all about the trainer, not the dog, escpecially not the dog's colour. I bet Di has issues with people saying that!?
Yip...i have hoenstly found Alfie a bit more easier to train than Madison..he's just so quick to learn. :D

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
I think if you want 'saft logic' its having solid, sensible colur names as in 'Black' and 'Yellow' then the faffy fluffy wuffy 'chocolate' instead of 'brown'.... ;-)

" Donna I too am irritated when people pass judgement about choccie labs being impossible to train. It's all about the trainer, not the dog, escpecially not the dog's colour. I bet Di has issues with people saying that!? "

Di does to a certain extent and has just had a 1500 word article on it accepted to the Countrymans Weekly to discuss the topic of which she is pretty chuffed ;-)

Di

G

·
Diana said:
I think if you want 'saft logic' its having solid, sensible colur names as in 'Black' and 'Yellow' then the faffy fluffy wuffy 'chocolate' instead of 'brown'.... ;-)
As you know Di, I really dislike the term Chocolate and think it was thought up as a clever ploy to make Brown dogs more popular. What with Poodles being called Brown, I do get confused (it's my age) and often call Labs Brown too. :roll: :lol:

Actually the colours you get Poodles in have far better descriptive terminology to me...I mean you get Black, Brown and White but you also get Cream, Apricot, Red, Cafe Au Lait, Silver Beige, Blue and Silver. So if they can have many more accurate description colour names, I wonder why Labs can't. :?

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
_Jules_ said:
I agree Jules - yellow is a stupid name and champagne is much more fitting for your girlie! I like the idea of yummy food labels - chocolate champagne and liquorice labs!! Much nicer than yellow and black. I sometimes wonder if choc labs would be just as popular if they were called brown? Chocolate adds to the appeal, I'm certain!

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
I have no truck with people calling yellow labs "golden", as that was what I knew them as for years. I don't bother correcting, as I just tend to think it isn't worth putting people's backs up. It is only since joining LF a few years ago that I stood corrected, and began saying "yellow".

Just because someone might say that their yellow lab is a golden does not detract from them as a good owner. All of the ones I know adore their "golden" labs.

Actually, the official Kennel Club descriptions of the colourings of some pedigree dogs confuses and amuses me in equal measure.

For instance, my Topsy is a "blue roan" cocker spaniel. That appears to mean that she is predominantly black, with a number of white or greyish white markings. She certainly isn't blue. 8O :lol:

·
Registered
759 Posts
I think the correction on golden lab is justified, as the golden retriever exists as a breed of its own... still all just in good fun....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts