Labradors Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had a lovely bit of evening sunshine yesterday, so me and the girls sat out in the field next door and while I had a glass of chilled chardonnay, the girls chewed on their bones (which they'd taken with them); if ever there was an advert for giving your dog a marrow bone, these two are it!

·
Registered
350 Posts
do you ever find that when a dog has a bone it changes them.

candy and missy have never growled, but once i gave missy a bone, when i went near her she done a low pitch growl.

i took the bone away there and then, will not buy them anymore.

just find that when they have bones it brings the worse out in them.

is it because a bone is a high status reward

all the best

gary

·
Registered
8,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
gstuart said:
do you ever find that when a dog has a bone it changes them.

candy and missy have never growled, but once i gave missy a bone, when i went near her she done a low pitch growl.

i took the bone away there and then, will not buy them anymore.

just find that when they have bones it brings the worse out in them.

is it because a bone is a high status reward

all the best

gary
Nope, they don't growl at me at all over food (or anything), the only time I've known them get possessive about anything is with strange dogs, even then it's very unusual.

I ask them to hold and then leave the bone whilst holding a carrier bag under to catch them, they get popped back in the freezer until next time.
:D :D :D

·
Super Moderator
17,438 Posts
What a lovely evening and lovely pics! I love pictures of dogs chewing from the floor level - it gives them a 'certain' look!

P

·
0 Posts
Ruby loves marrowbones, but sadly they don't love her! I have to try to limit her raw bone eating to ones with no obvious marrowbone in them. It's a shame I can't give them to her more often as they keep her occupied for ages!

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
Charlie loves the occasional bone, though I must admit he goes for long periods without because all of the local butchers around here say they buy their meat ready boned, so rarely have them.

Charlie is always disappointed at having to give his bone back, but does not growl at me. He gives it in the end. I do find I have to ration it because if I don't then he would eat until he was soooo constipated. That is when I run into problems.

Lovely pictures though. Real enjoyment on their faces. :D

?

·
0 Posts
Love the look of total Bliss on their faces.

Mine all love their bones too and I'm always amazes at how much Pickle with her baby teeth and Pood with her little mouth manage to eat of them. I don't very often give mine marrow bones though, not unless I scrape the marrow out first anyway (mean mummy I am :wink: ).

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
Mine love marrow bones too.

I'm a meany and give them frozen - that way they get plenty of chewing without too much marrow all in one go, more of a licky slurp affair to get the marrow out - it's easier on little tums.

·
Registered
426 Posts
what a blissful evening Jo!!

We gave the bug a bone once....it was a HUGE hip bone I think - nearly as big as him at the time....

so - marrowbones must be different? - I am guessing them come from the leg?

As per the Gary post - he was absolutely fine with us removing the bone from him, but actually gave a growl when Josh got close to him and therefore we haven;t given once since....

we had the opposite effect from constipation!! - perhaps he was too young at the time? or is it the marrow that bungs them up?

?

·
0 Posts
we had the opposite effect from constipation!! - perhaps he was too young at the time? or is it the marrow that bungs them up?
The marrow is nearly all fat, so this can have a laxative effect, especially if they are not used to it.

he was absolutely fine with us removing the bone from him, but actually gave a growl when Josh got close to him and therefore we haven;t given once since....
It is very common for a young dog who has never had a bone before to be possessive over a raw bone....After all it is the BEST thing he has ever had in his entire LIFE :lol: . The more often they have them though, the less High Value they become and so the less likely they are to give a warning growl. None of mine growl now but ALL did with their first bone, which is why I only give them a little ones to start off with and I don't take them away until they are finished. I can take anything out of their mouths now, but there has to be a degree of trust (them trusting you) before that can happen. :wink:

·
Registered
350 Posts
missy and candy have never ever growled at me when food was around,

however when i did give them both a bone candy went near missy and she gave a very deep growl.didnt show any teeth

i had no problem of going up to missy and taking the bone off her,

that was the last time i gave them bones, was wondering does this happen to alot of dogs that get very possesive over bones

This is the only time ive heard missy give a deep growl, never seen her show her teeth just a deep tone.

all the best

gary

·
Registered
8,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't know Gary is the honest answer, neither of mine, even as pups have growled at me in the way Jules describes over any food. They have had the occasional warning growl at each other, but will generally swap bones and toys without any problems whatsoever, Indie usually pins Tau down and mugs her little sis for whatever it is she wants, and Tau goes along with it as a sort of game.

·
Registered
350 Posts
i have always been able to put my hand, face into both there dog bowls and not a problem from them apart from getting licked

Funny you saying about one dog telling off another one.

Missy has growled at candy a few times to put her in her place, plus anything candy picks up missy also mugs her for it.

as they really changed when they had a bone i dont buy them anymore

all the best

gary

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
Soon after we got Topsy my two were given a large beef bone each. Topsy approached Charlie, and yes, he did tell her to bog off in no uncertain terms. Neither of them does it to me though, and I can get the bones off them without problem.

To be honest, if it is the dogs just drawing their own battle lines and showing each other who is boss then I leave them to it providing it does not go really OTT. Topsy learnt a lesson there far more effectively than I could have taught her - i.e. to leave Charlie alone with his bone. It didn't harm her at all, as she had her own and she and Charlie still remained good friends.

?

·
0 Posts
neither of mine, even as pups have growled at me in the way Jules describes over any food.
Actually, tell a lie, Pood has never growl at me or anyone but then she was weaned on raw, so a nice juicy bone was nothing new to her. Weren't yours raised on BARF too Joanne?

Anyway, there's growling and there's GROWLING. Mojo mutters and grumbles at most things in life, yet it obviously means nothing at all, as none of the other dogs take the slightest bit of notice of her and if challenged for food, she will grumble but walk away and leave the others to it. Growling is only a vocal method of showing their displeasure. Growling doesn't automatically lead to any further, more severe action, in fact it rarely does unless the animal is fearful. The dogs you have to watch out for are usually the silent, still, posturing ones, the growling ones are just politely telling you to "bog off".

·
Registered
8,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oooh Jules you fibber!!!

Tau has the odd eff and jeff at things that spook her, Indie's half an hour behind her and just grinning from ear to ear by the time she's realised there was something to possibly bark about. But food has never been an issue with them, even though I obviously starve them :wink:

·
Registered
426 Posts
This all makes such a lot of sense, since Beetle really does see Josh as a sibling....

I would love to give a bone back, so as per Sarah's post - I reckon we need to freeze them and ask the butcher (he is great! - bones them all himself and will do anything asked of him) to cut them into much smaller chunks....

Perhaps that will stop the Bug from tearing chunks out of the architrave??

g

1 - 19 of 19 Posts