Labradors Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well in the last 2 weeks Molly has worked out what "take the dog for a walk means"

if someone says it, her ears prick up, she looks at you as if asking "did you just say what I thought you said"..
if you look at her and give any encouragement sh'es off!...straight to the door sitting by it, and making the strangest excited groaning noises...
she will then sometimes "salmon leap" at whoever is holding the lead, this is where she jumps towards you, but body first!...sort of hurling herself up in the air sideways at you!...

You'd think she'd be terrible as soon as you get her on the lead and out the door, but once the lead is on, she will walk slowly and gently by your side for most of the walk (well she does for me).

It just means you have to be careful what you say when Molly is in ear shot!

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Hi,

Ben has not sussed out the w.a.l.k word yet (thank god!). He does get excited when you pick up his lead but he tends to try and hold on to it and take me for a walk in stead?!!! :lol:

Cristina

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
Corbie knows walkies too - I remember when he first went out and he didn't like having his lead on! I said to him, one day you will be begging me to put this on :lol:

So we can't say the "w" word or the "d" (dinner) word in front of him :D

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ahh I'd forgotten about the "foooood" word (you need to extend the ooo's)
she will go a bit mad, and then sit in front of the cupboard her food is in....

drooling usually

·
Registered
12,175 Posts
max responds to quite a lot of words now with the exception of "bad boy" :lol: that just gets the head on one side look as much as to say "me dumb dog dont know what you mean mum" :roll:

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
lol..brandy seems to know she is going w.a.l.k.i.e.s. even with out me saying anything i think she picks up on the vibes..lol..and also if i go to grab the nappy sacks she goes mad as she knows this is a sighn..lol..

also if i put my black coat on again she up and whippig me with that darn tail..lol..

rosze hasnt mastered these sighns as of yet..lol..

and charlie well he just flippen barks the house down as brandy gets him going..lol

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
At 7 years, Shadow is a mind reader! He knows the routine better than we do. If he hasn't been out or fed by a certain time (normally a half hour window) he gets restless and sits by the kitchen door where his food and lead are kept. His vocabulary is better than most Burnley residents as he knows - out, walk, food, lead,biscuits, bonio, dentastick, paw plus half a dozen of his soft toys names!! What a clever boy!

·
Registered
280 Posts
hi Paul

I too can relate to the doggy vocab... With Sasha, keywords vary - dinner, walk, toilet (number 2), wee wee, chewstick, kitchen, milk, lead, ball, bone, bedtime (means she can up stairs with us), bed (her bed!), mat, then she has all her toys which have individual names.

When it is dinnertime and she is sitting waiting for leftovers, if you tell her to go back in the kitchen, she lies straight down as if to say 'please mum - im not doing anything wrong'. and like shadow, if I miss dinnertime even slightly, or she wants to go out, she starts prancing about trying to get my attention, and then I ask her 'what do you want' and then she just goes utterly crazy. its either food or the loo, and she will tell me which from her reactions.

They are great arent they!

·
Registered
364 Posts
His vocabulary is better than most Burnley residents
:lol: Paul

I had a dog once that as soon as I thought of taking it out for a walk she would somehow know, even though I never had a set time for taking her out .. I wouldnt move or even look at her, she would just seem to know what I was thinking .. one minute seemingly fast asleep the next her chin would be on my knee, tail going like a propeller, eyes fixing me with that "come on, lets go!" look .. uncanny

·
Registered
669 Posts
Cant say walk/ treat/ sleepies/ Cats/ breakfast/ dinner....

We even cant say 'Who would like'....... we can then finish the sentence with treats/ to go for a walk/ kisses. They go crazy. Its adorable though!

G

·
I must say my Ollie knew a lot of words, dinner, chicken, fish, bonio, biscuit, lead, beach, various people's names, moose (toy), duckie (another toy), go out. He would bring various things like fetch the remote, slippers, letters, paper, socks, footie, collar, bowl, individual toys by their names such as battie, mousey, tigger, donkey, goosey.

I have read that dogs can understand around 200 words but can't remember where I read that does anyone else have any information on how much they really understand?

They certainly have selective hearing when they feel necessary and know how to do "that forgive me face" you know the one. And then there's the "I'm starving I am face" and the most embassessing one when you take them to the local pub "they don't feed me anything you know face" as he chats with locals.

They are definately clever that's for sure.

Michaela

1 - 12 of 12 Posts