Labradors Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd had some really good training sessions with the boys in the past week or so and then i've had some not so great ones.
Yesterday was a proper mixed bag. I travelled up to norfolk for a lesson with my trainer there.
Finn did some good heelwork but his steadiness was a bit hit and miss to start with in the walk up. As the session went on though he got better :)
We had some sticky moments with the directions but finished with some great retrieves with a lovely hold during the delivery... i don't mind admitting that this has been a real issue and probably why we've not progressed much in the last few months. the trainer suggested something and it seemed to work so we have to work on that before i see him next.

Coal took a while to settle and he did one of his run around antics :oops: with the trainer handling him. We discovered he's a big mummy's boy tho as he ran back to me each time as he was unsure what he was supposed to do. :roll:
We did some decent stops at distance with some good directional commands from those stops onto the dummies :D :D :D

so we have lots to work on, but as the trainer said, if it doesn;t go wrong, you can't fix it. i gives me such a buzz to solve the problems and see them succeed :D
Its what i love about training the boys, there might be lows that suck but the highs are amazing :D

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
there might be lows that suck but the highs are amazing
That's so true :)

Coal took a while to settle and he did one of his run around antics
I know that well! Does Coal ever do this when you train alone? Basil never does it with just us, but absolutely revels in doing this when he has an audience, particularly when we're doing basic stuff or easy retrieves.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no the little devil does it with me too. apparently i'm gonna have to get my running legs on. he needs to learn i will not give up and that things are alot simpler when he does what he knows to do the first time i ask. he does it when he knows he's done wrong and gallops about like a cheeky child! :roll:

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Alf's training is slow at min,

trying to lengthen his straight line backs.
and speed his return up

but he is such a woose with thistles,, he is doing this stupid tip toe thing and following tracks if he can rather than coming back straight.

so must so that i need new ground as its not really teaching him to go straight as it should be.

daft sod !!!

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just had a fab training walk with coal. :D

He did 3 long memory backs in various places. A long ish blind (in the same place as one of the memories) and a directional retrieve (with 2 dummies - he usually will attempt to get both!) All done with precision and with clean and straight deliveries too :D

We did some stops the evening before last and he'll now stop really nicely at a distance.

might not seem much to some folk but i'm dead chuffed with my boy! :D

Finn's turn tomorrow

1 - 6 of 6 Posts