Labradors Forums banner

The Sun Shone Down on a Reborn Grouse Moor

3K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  DougalsDad 
#1 ·
Today, was a very special day.

It was the first time for about 9 years, that the shooting lease has been taken on this moor. As a result of a fire the moor was not a viable proposition, but is now returning to its former glory.

Because I was on new territory, under a new Keeper, and Shoot Owner, I decided to restrict my shots of the dogs in action, I also figured you'll be fed up of seeing my dogs retrieving Grouse by now :wink:

The first picture is of a young dog, Tweed, that belongs to a friend of mine, it was his first day out picking up on the Grouse. Tweed is from one of the last litters sired by FTCH Endacott Shelf, so I'm keeping a careful eye on his progress.

Here he is all bright eyed and bushy tailed at the start of the day.

The day was set fair, you could see for miles.

Couldn't resist slipping a picture of one of my dogs in, here's Sonny. The full crew today was Indy, Sonny and Spike.

I've decided to set myself a new challenge, following on from the Curlew pics earlier in the year, we are now going for Grouse in flight pics.

A tad trickier methinks, here are the first efforts.

So we wended our merry way to lunchtime, which the guns decided to take al fresco, by the old shooting lodge, which is in the process of being restored.

Here are some of the other dogs, at lunchtime.

Milo

Ekko

Some dogs think lunch is a waste of time, Jess is one of them

And here's my mate Tweed again

The Guns were hoping for a 40 brace day, and we had 59 brace at lunch, so we had done very well.

One drive after lunch, and we finished with 67.5 brace, everyone was very pleased.

Tweed was very tired after his big day out

As were his sister, and his mum.

It really was a pleasure to be out on such a lovely day, and to see the moor in such good fettle.

Andrew

See less See more
#10 ·
_Linda_ said:
Beautiful photos of the dogs and moors Andrew, not that I am that bright but how can you get 0.5 brace :? (i take it that is a bird - which has been shot and is dead????) :? An honest question, just confused me,

PS Tweed and Sonny are very handsome lads :D
Grouse are always counted in pairs Linda, so 67.5 brace, is 135 birds.

It's just traditional, like hounds in a pack are always counted as couples.

Andrew

#15 ·
Andrew, thanks as ever for posting these reports & photos I always read with interest. The photos are fantastic for a 'limited' photo day and I look forward to seeing how the grouse in flight shots come on over the season.

Out of interest how much photography gear (different lenses etc) do you carry out on to the hill when on a shoot on top of everything else you need for you and the dogs?

#20 ·
DougalsDad said:
Andrew, thanks as ever for posting these reports & photos I always read with interest. The photos are fantastic for a 'limited' photo day and I look forward to seeing how the grouse in flight shots come on over the season.

Out of interest how much photography gear (different lenses etc) do you carry out on to the hill when on a shoot on top of everything else you need for you and the dogs?
I travel as light as possible , I just take my camera with it's usual lens attached, a 70-300 mm telephoto.

As for the Grouse in flight shots, I can see this becoming a bit of an obsession :wink: :wink: :wink:

Andrew

#22 ·
I think Munsterlanders are always black and white Jac, or at least all the ones I've ever seen are.

If I remember rightly, they started life as "reject" German Long Haired Pointers, as that colour (B&W) was outside the GLP breed standard. I've certainly never seen a B&W GLP.

I might be wrong though, I'm sure someone will put me straight if I am. :wink:

Andrew

#24 ·
monkeyboy said:
I think Munsterlanders are always black and white Jac, or at least all the ones I've ever seen are.

If I remember rightly, they started life as "reject" German Long Haired Pointers, as that colour (B&W) was outside the GLP breed standard. I've certainly never seen a B&W GLP.

I might be wrong though, I'm sure someone will put me straight if I am. :wink:

Andrew
When I first saw it I thought it was a german long haired pointer, but apparently they are not a recognised colour in the breed, bit like yellow flatcoats ( but not quite as lovely of course :wink: )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.