Labradors Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone else find this upsetting? Im now completely paranoid a bout leaving Burt :( Not that he seems to care when i go to work at lunchtimes (im a dinner lady) He sleeps on the sofa when i leave and is still there when i get back, but i worry he is like some of those dogs on that program now :(

·
Registered
551 Posts
I was sobbing by the end of it! That poor little schnauzer!

But the techniques the behaviourist recommended is exactly what people on this site recommend too. They talked about doing things like leaving a Kong, arranging people to check on the dog and/or booking the dog into doggy daycare.

It sounds like Burt is completely happy with his lot - lucky so&so being allowed to sleep on the sofa! Have any of your neighbours commenting on him barking or howling?

I'm sure Burt is fine - but you're a fab puppy mummy and it's understandable that you'd be worried after the programme!

Hugs, Hannah & Pepper xx

·
Registered
515 Posts
The problem is its a lot of work to sort a dog with separation problems.

People just won’t care and put up with the destruction because they are too lazy to sort out.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I think it is on again tonight in updated form Dogs: Their Secret Lives with Mark Evans on channel 4seven channel 140 sky not sure if it is on freeview or not.

I can understand that it is tough viewing for some albeit it is not as distressing to watch as I imagined it may have been. That said my genuine thoughts and sympathies to dogs concerned & those who struggle to manage SA despite much effort put in. Good to see owners getting positive results too.

I appreciate some dogs suffer from significant SA and many struggle to manage this properly through no fault of their own, however, there are strategies to help manage SA such as, (where beneficial), before and after separation exercise, avoiding dramatic leaving & home coming rituals, controlled physical environments, boredom prevention, interim visits, dog walkers and/or dog day care.

Not trivialising SA or owners of dogs so suffering but I was a little surprised that some had prior overlooked common sense SA reduction strategies prior to intervention. I appreciate dogs don't come with a handbook but owners can learn fro their own and others experiences &/or refer to a multitude of resources out there.

I am lucky at present and despite various comings and goings Harley is not left home alone nearly as often as many dogs. Experience tells me that factors aside some dogs cope far better than others.

·
Premium Member
6,609 Posts
I watched it and saw the original programme too. I found it very upsetting and it got me wondering about Coco. However, she happily settles in her bed while I get ready for work (she has already had a good walk and breakfast). She glances up at me from the comfort of her bed when I pick up my keys.

When I get home at lunch time she is curled up in her bed and sometimes can't be bothered to leave her warm bed to come and greet me (unless I start getting some food out!)

She has been left from day 3 of us having her and she sleeps alone in the kitchen at night so I think because it is what she has always known she isn't too bothered. If she knows I'm at home and she can't be with me she sometimes whines but I don't think she does it if I'm out. I often leave my sons in bed in a morning and they haven't reported any problems.

A few of the dogs in the programme were rescue dogs who possibly came with issues, you have to wonder if the sample group was really a representative sample of all dogs or if they had selected more problem dogs to make the programme worth watching..

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know i am probably being a bit silly, but like some others the little dog that was howling ugghhhh. I dont have a camera to set up, but Burt is only ever left for 2-4 hours at a time, and only 4 very rarely if i have to work an afternoon session in school. It was quite shocking though the distress it caused the dogs and the illness that came later in life brought on by the stress! I left Burt on the sofa today (he is always walked before i go to work) When i came back an hour and half later i peeked through the window and he was upside down on the same sofa ontop of his blankey, legs in the air :D im sure if he was suffering that would not be the case

·
Super Moderator
17,438 Posts
I used my laptop camera to record these 2 A LOT when I first went back to work after Tucker came home. Highlights included Luna barking at the postie for daring to wake her up with the mail; Tucker standing up, doing some turns and curling up in the opposite curl to before; Luna digging the cushions off the sofa before curling up with a sigh. The rest was heavy breathing and no movement :) :)

I check every so often with a video just in case the situation changes.

It is the advice in this blog that I follow: http://liziangel.blogspot.co.uk/2011/10/pleeeeease-dont-leave-me.html

I try de-crating Tucker every so often but videos show he cries an doesn't settle so the dining table got rehomed and his crate turned from temporary to permanent fixture!

I didn't watch the show, the last one unsettled me and Tucks with the howls and cries.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I watched this with my friend who isn't really an animal lover, who didn't really seem affected by it and couldn't understand why I was. That poor Schnauzer, I found it quite upsetting I've always wondered what my Daisy get's up to while I'm out, I'm considering placing a camera in my kitchen just to see! She used to be quite destructive as a pup when left alone, so much that she ripped up two layers of the lino in the kitchen! I'm curious to see what exactly she does now she's older and I might find where she's hiding all my socks! :lol:

·
Registered
772 Posts
I never see the program, but I heard people talking about it.

Its a little different with Busby, he has been crated since he was a puppy and has grown so attached to he crate we still have it up and he is 2 next week.
When we are getting ready to go out (and he knows the signs), he will stand by his treat box, waiting for a treat. Once he has a treat he jumps in bed and lays down, eats the treat and curls up for a nap.

We have in the past asked neighbours to keep a listen out for him, but they report no noise what so ever. So I would guess he spends his time snoozing away. Him loving his crate and still using it over night and whilst we go out offers us some security with the knowledge that he is safe and can't get up to any mischief whilst we are out.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Working nights and sleeping days I know mine are fine with being left. There's never a peep when I'm in bed. They don't even bark at the postman.

A bit off topic but a friend at work set up a camera which she could access through her mobile to watch her spaniels litter of pups. We spent our break time watching eight four week old puppies on her phone they were so cute. Her partner was home with the pups but she missed them.

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
DJM1982 said:
When we are getting ready to go out (and he knows the signs), he will stand by his treat box, waiting for a treat. Once he has a treat he jumps in bed and lays down, eats the treat and curls up for a nap.
Yes, Tatze knows the signs too. If I am going to work she goes on to her crate and waits for her kong. If I'm taking her out she knows and paces around 'till I'm ready. I seriously think her cue is which shoes I put on. Posh shoes/boots = work. Wellies/trainers = walkies!

She never cries, barks or even whimpers.

My Gavin used to howl! He was rarely left alone as my Mum used to look after them when I was at work. But his howls began before I got to the back door, poor wee sausage. Callum used to howl too, but just to keep Gavin company - if I took Gavin to the vet without him Callum was fine. When Callum died I never left Gavin alone -- he slept by my bed and I always left him with someone, he was so very upset if he was left.

Gavin and baby Tatze.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Daisy knows the signs of me going out (putting my coat on) it's when I put my shoes on which is the issue, she's never sure whether it means walkies or I'm going out. I left an old phone recording in case she howled overnight and today or got up to any mischief, so proud of her there was no howling/crying nothing just alot of snoring!

I like Luna's idea of checking on them every so often, in which I plan to buy a camera when I can, just to be sure, it might be boring watching a sleeping dog but the peace of mind would be great.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts