Labradors Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
sorry nope the labradoodle is just another cross breed dog yeah ok there cute but so are heain57 dogs aswell..lol..

i dont like them its either a poodle or a labrador ( i dont like poodles at the best of times..lol)

full pedigree labrador only for me im afraid

·
Premium Member
8,852 Posts
I love any dog but I think this cross is great - it has the benefits of both worlds - labbie loving and intelligent nature with the non shedding and intelligent poodle. As the link said, they were bred as service and therapy dogs and if that's what it takes to create a dog that can help make someone's lfe better than that's good by me.

Still pefer my pure bred for me but every dog has it's own purpose.

·
Registered
196 Posts
They should call these dogs anything, but without the "labra" on it. Maybe they should be called YANKEEDOODLE. Regards,

Labrazil.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
A very apt desciption of the labradoodle I think that should go in their breed standard," O i forgot they wont have a breed standard "

margaret

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
LMAO kev....

I'm not a fan of cross breeding...i'm not into cocktails :lol: ...Nothing to beat the original Labbie

·
Administrator
20,783 Posts
I have absolutely no time for people who deliberately breed crossbreeds! The rescues are full of them. Just like the fad of anything people can add a "Poo" onto including, Shihpoo, Maltipoo and anything else the unscrupulous can add a poo onto and charge inflated prices for.

Almost none of these dogs have, in my experience, been health tested. The story is "Hybrid vigour" which, I’m sorry is just a load of rubbish! Labradors at the moment, for example, have a total of 6 different inherited eye problems Poodles fair rather better, but do have one, Optic Nerve Hypoplasia, which Labradors do not. Take the case of a simple Recessive problem. It needs to be on both sides for the dog to be affected but only one side for the dog to be a carrier. If for example the Labrador side carried those 6 bad genes and the poodle carried their faults, the puppies could be carrying all 7 faults. At the time of mating Lab/Poodle cross back to Lab/Poodle cross any or all of these 7 ailments could come out.

Now on to the moulting question. If you mate dogs which differing characteristics then on average half will carry one and half the other. Very simply, half will moult, half will not!

All new breeds brought about in recent times were bred for specific purposes, Lucas terriers, Plummer terriers and Patterdale terriers to name three. Because these are working terriers there is an aim, a reason for being and a benchmark as to the success. Any attempt at creating a breed is full of blind alleys. Failures, where the resultant dogs just do not gel. Any fool can stick too breeds together but that will not make a breed.

I know people will accuse me of being against crosses and mongrels but that is not the case. My very first dog was a Wire Haired Fox terrier cross goodness knows what. He was a cross and was not credited with fancy names or even more fancy price tag but he was wonderful all the same.

Regards, John

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
ditto what John said.

I can't help feeling sorry for genuine poodle breeders though. It must be terrible to have a breed you love used to breed different sorts of crosses, just so they can be called a catchy name with poo or oodle in. :(

·
Registered
880 Posts
having known poodleXgoldies they have also all got wooly fur - they get trimmed though! I dont agree with John that there is a 50% change as you can get dominant genes and all sorts of things like that, I know they also make excellent assistance dogs and if that is what they're being bread for then it is fine, I wouldnt consider them a breed in their own right now do I agree with the peekapoo and other toy breeds being crossed with poodles but then, i cant understand anyone wanting a pekanese to start with, but as a service dog or a companion they are lovely.
Anna

·
Administrator
20,783 Posts
Either gene can be dominant Anna, in some matings it could be the Labrador, in others the poodle. The problem is, people selling them as non shedding when at the time of selling the puppies they have not got the remotest clue which gene will master. Taken over a time and enough litters the 50% of each would be right.

Guide Dogs For The Blind tried the cross as an easy care dog which would be easier for blind people to clear up after but the cross failed on several counts. They found that there was no garentees on what the coat would be and also found the cross not as bidable as other breeds and crosses they were already using. When I asked 2 years ago what the future held, I was told there was no plans to repete the experiment.

Regards, John

1 - 18 of 18 Posts