Labradors Forums banner

The Kitchen Floor

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  bradleysmum 
#1 ·
Hi,

My yellow puppy (male) is coming soon. I know about the problems with hips; is a tiled kitchen flloor going to give him any problems - he's only going to sleep there !

Cat

#2 ·
Hi Cat

The kitchen floor should be ok depending on type of tiles - but best to ere on side of caution in puppyhood especially with their hips (see my thread - 'Molly's problem') so maybe put a mat down for a short while until he's grown a bit. We have now put mats down throughout the house as we have wooden floors.

One thing that we found in one of the pet shops that has helped is 'Paw Wax' which you can rub on their paws and it helps them to grip better, sounds daft, I know, but it does work!

Make sure that you don't over exercise him in the first year and keep an eye on his hips if he shows any difficulty getting up or you hear his hips clicking then take him to the vets for a check up.

Good luck - Jill

#3 ·
Hello Cat,

I think Jill has given some great advice there, i too, would be very cautious with your little puppy, and maybe get a soft padded bed, or old blanket maybe.

When our puppy Bradley was very little, we had a plastic basket (easy to wash if need be) with a couple of cushioned pads to go inside (One spare so that we could wash one and still use one if required).

We've upgraded his sleeping aids a little now, he now has a large padded mat, along with a cushioned dog bed. :wink:

Another thing besides the hip problems is callous, which is a thickened area of skin, they get on their elbows, from lying on hard surfaces, (or so our vet said). Just another thing to look out for.

Regards

Bradleysmum :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.