Labradors Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just clipped Pickles nails for the first time and what a pleasant experience it was :D.

After having a succession of dogs with black or brown nails and dogs which don't like their feet touched/nails clipped, it was so lovely to sit Pickle on my lap and be able to see what I needed to take off .... and her just willingly let me :D :D (I've got Tracy to thank for that ).

It really doesn't take a lot to make me a Happy Bunny. :wink: :lol:

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Isn;t she a star!

Alfie hates his feet getting touched..and with hubby feeding him i managed to get them all done the other day.

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
My OH generally does the nail clipping while the dogs are at the workshop. Jack hates it and goes into quiver mode, but Daisy just sits calmly. Mind Jack's natural dislike of nail clipping was increased because OH did, a couple of times when he was younger, clip a little high up and made the nail bleed....the danger of wiggling youngster and dark nails. With Daisy being yellow, as you say, it is so easy to see exactly what you are doing.

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
I am very jealous. I am trimming tidgy bits of Nells every week as i don't want the quiks to grow long but I am too chicken to cut low!

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
You lot are braver than me. I got the Vet to clip Sky's the other night. We do have clippers, but get a little nervous using them. Perhaps we should just go for it.
Might start clipping Elphie's whilst she is young and doesn't know any different. :D

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I clip my three's nails in the boot of the car. That way there's no messing about grabbing hold + wriggling and getting them/me stressed and it is so much calmer. I get the time to inspect the darker nails to see how far I can clip. And it doesn't kill my back :)

·
Premium Member
17,440 Posts
Luna's good at letting me cut her claws. I had to learn how off my husband!!! We had to trim right from getting her because her sideways growing claw gets in the way of her straight claw otherwise! We've cut it as short as we dare without knowing where the quick is (white would make things much easier!) and fortunately haven't ever had any bleeding - phew!

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Ahh thanks Jules (sorry only just catching up with the forum.....been helping my sister whelp her bitch!!).

I have a real hate of pups with long nails, sooo many come into the kennels with talons..... there is no need. My pups, rightly or wrongly, have their nails clipped every 3/4 days from 3 or 4 days old and then the lasy time its done here is the day they leave. None of them seem to mind it being done, and I can do any of my dogs nails without them running off and hiding!!!

It was a mammoth task when we had all 16 here though!!! :lol:

Trace x

1 - 11 of 11 Posts