Labradors Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A quick reminder of how important ID tags are –

Last night I had a phone call at 9pm from a colleague – he had lost his Jack Russell in the woods. They are big woods, but surrounded by busy roads, M23, and a railway line. Tom and I shot out there, complete with my three boys, and searched in the pouring rain until gone midnight – no sign of Bertie. I put him on Dog Lost, and phoned everyone I could think of. Up this morning, printing signs. Owner spent the night in the wood in his car, worried sick.

This morning a kind man puts a note on the car to say he found the dog last night. Bertie had been safe and sound in a warm house all evening, whilst we were soaked to the skin and frantic.

Bertie is chipped, but at that time of night three is no one available to scan a chip. I know collars aren’t always suitable, if working for instance, but in this case if Bertie had had a collar with tags like my boys have showing name, address and a multitude of phone numbers, he would have been reunited 12 hours earlier.

Do think about it – tags really are worth their weight in gold in it is safe for your dog to wear one.

Thank God Bertie is safe though.

Katy

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
Thank goodness he is ok - and well done to the lovely person that kept him safe all night.

You're right about the importantce of ID tags, as you say, the average person doesn't keep a scanner.

We found a dog once who didn't have the same happy ending :cry: and he was chipped so the vets were able to contact the owner and let her know what happened, but if he had been wearing a tag too, I could at least have called the owner as soon as we found him injured and let them know where he was and that we were taking him to the vets.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
We at Padfoots couldn't agree more as to how important ID tags are.
It's also the law that if a dog is outside in a public area it must have a collar and ID tag - if more lost dogs has collars and id tags many would be reunited a lot quicker.

I'm so pleased that Bertie was reunited with his mum and dad.

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
Tags are very important.

I have had my Topsy wander off in a field of tall crops, get lost and come out the wrong end of it. Fortunately it doesn't happen that often, but I have had people call me on the mobile number which is on her tag to say that they have her. So useful.

Too many people don't bother with them though. I once found a dog wandering alone on the main street of our town. It had a collar and tag on, but the tag was blank. :? :roll:

I did manage to locate the owner by knocking on a couple of front doors, as the dog had escaped from a back yard.

So yes, if yours is not a working dog out in the fields, then do have a tag. Oh, and put something on the tag too. :wink: :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts