Labradors Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When Shadow was a pup, he actually liked the hoover - following it around and trying to play with it. Since he had his first hip opearation at 8 months, he was petrified of it. We think it stems from when we went to my parents in Weston Super Mare (great doggy friendly beaches) when he was still recovering and we left him with Mum & Dad while we went shopping. When we got back, he was quite upset and nervy and Mum revealed all they had done was hoover (at the time, their machine was very loud).

For the next 4 years Shadow wouldn't go in the same room when the hoover was on, although over the last couple of years he has got bolder and now will peer from around the sofa at it and follow it, when it is being pushed away from him - when you turn around with it, he backs off 'huffing'! At least he is no longer frightened of it - he even licks it when it is switched off!

Has anyone else had a similar problem with domestic appliances?

Cheers,

Paul & Shadow

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
Corbie doesn't mind the hoover too much at the moment - it's usually his rubbish that I'm hoovering up anyway!! :lol:

I'm sure he'll grow to dislike it like most other dogs :D

·
Registered
669 Posts
Mine prance around it and stalk it and attack! George especially hates it. Can't stand it if I put my hand over it and hates it even more if I lightly try to use on him to suck off the molting fur. :lol:
He still comes back for more though!

My mums lab loves it! He sits there while mum hoovers him all over, under the arms, tail etc. Loves it.

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
My dog loves it, he even trys to help (most annoying). He insists on holding the long handle while you are trying to get in corners and edges, he even sat there once with it sucked to his lips! Did'nt seem to bother him. Sometimes when he is hairy i hoover him and he loves it! :lol:
The only thing he hates is the lawn mower and he chases it barking while you are trying to cut the grass! (I have to shut him indoors now as it can go on for an hour!). The more you use the hoover the more he will get used to it again, it's just going to take time.

Cristina & Ben

·
Registered
12,175 Posts
max loves the hoover and insists on trying to help. the other day however i started to hoover when suddenly a nasty squeak started. i thought yep thats about right as the washing machine had packed up the day before. so i stripped the hoover all down and gave it a good clean, put it back together and tried again. it was fine for a few minutes and then the squeak started again :? i turned round to get the screw driver and what do i see? yep you guessed. one inocent looking max with his squeaky toy stuck in his gob :lol: well at least the hoover had a spring clean.
jan and max.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Hi There Paul,

Argh bless Shadow - our cats hate the hoover but our Lab loves it!

The hoover and the dust buster are his friends, he tries to wrestle with the hose and chases the actual hoover as it glides around! Most of the time, Dave has to take him out for walkies while i hoover, just so i can get the job done. :D

I wonder if there are any 'quiet' hoovers about? Wouldn't it be good to design a 'pet friendly' hoover, which doesnt make a noise, i'm sure many pets are scared of them.

Hope Shadow gets better with the hoover soon.

Julie

·
Registered
193 Posts
Molly tries to be brave at the hoover, but sometimes gets a bit scared and sprints off...
she tends to just try to attack the brush end, or lick the hoover base...
She does get quite excited when the hoover comes out (which seems to be every day at the moment...do they all lose this much hair?)...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Rufus loves to stalk the hoover and chase it, whilst barking his little head off and acting fierce but still has his tail wagging!!!.

The only thing he hates is when i get the extension out as i accidently caught his ear in it the other week which made him whine and wee on is bed :oops:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts