Labradors Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Met up with Sam & Finn today and it was fascinating to see the difference between my Rusti and Finn (Finn working lines, Rusti working with a show type sire). Both bred by Jill (Ettinsmoor) and its interesting to see the show side breeding making such a big influence on Rusti.

Some pics of them together to show the difference (Rusti on the left, Finn right)

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
Thanks for putting these photos up Nikki. It is something I have been very aware of with Spice as well, a completely different head to my other dogs, although with her it is the female version.

I have to admit I am really interested to see these pups when they are fully mature. I think they are going to be stunning, but then I am just a tiny bit biase :oops: .

And, of course, Finn is stunning already :D .

·
Registered
6,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ettinsmoor said:
Thanks for putting these photos up Nikki. It is something I have been very aware of with Spice as well, a completely different head to my other dogs, although with her it is the female version.
I have to admit I am really interested to see these pups when they are fully mature. I think they are going to be stunning, but then I am just a tiny bit biase :oops: .

And, of course, Finn is stunning already :D .
Its really interesting seeing the difference isn't it. When you see Rusti against Finn, you can really see the big show type head in Rusti and shorter muzzle. Think Sam & Helen were amazed at the size of him and he's bigger than Finn already! 8O

Yes, I agree these pups are going to be totally stunning when fully mature (they already are of course) and Rusti always gets lots of admirers when we are out.

Think we need more pics of Spice so I can show them to her bruv :wink:

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
I just LOVE Rusti. I was saying to Jill the other day Nikki how much I love it when you post pics of him. He's boooootiful! I love Spice too, she has a beautiful head.

Oh Nooooo..... does this mean I need to get a halfie half for next pup??? Is Rusti as whizzy as the fully trial bred pups are Nikki?

Hmmm, I do like a looker though :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
6,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Moj said:
I just LOVE Rusti. I was saying to Jill the other day Nikki how much I love it when you post pics of him. He's boooootiful! I love Spice too, she has a beautiful head.
Oh Nooooo..... does this mean I need to get a halfie half for next pup??? Is Rusti as whizzy as the fully trial bred pups are Nikki? Hmmm, I do like a looker though :wink: :wink:
Aww thanks Moj. And I can highly recommend the halfies, beauty & brains - what could be better! :wink:

Rusti can run like the wind so no problems there, it scares me how fast he can go 8O He just needs to learn to put the brakes on before knocking me off my feet! :lol:

G

·
They are both beautiful. :D

I wish I had been in contact with Mojo's litter mates to see how they turned out, as there were only 5 pups but 3 looked like they came from one litter and 2 from another, such was the differences in size, shape and temperament. It would have been lovely to see if they evened out and all looked pretty similar in the end or if they remained looking like one lot were mostly Show bred and the other mostly Working.

There is working blood in Pickle too, although further back, so it'll be interesting to see how this litter all grows up. :D

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
There is a real difference in head 'type'! Not absolutely sure from the pics the body type looks hugely different but both are in lean fit order and so you often can't see a huge difference.... Lovely looking dogs all of them.

Di

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
I don't think you can actually compare body types as yet as Rusti is only 8 months and Finn 18 months, but I have a feeling there will be much more substance to both Rusti and Spice when mature.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Both really handsome boys but I do see the difference. In your first post with both boys in some it did look like Rusti was much bigger overall despite still being a baby!

Most of the labs I know are working types but Ben is purely show bred and he is much bigger than other labs I know. As well as being tall he is large boned as well. At the moment he weighs 44 kilos and although he is a bit overweight I (and others) dont think by too much :oops: You can sometimes see his ribs when he is running :)

What sort of weights/heights are your dogs? It can be hard to tell from photos. We tend to think Logie (working bred golden) is really small but besides my friend's lab he looks big so I think he is just dwarfed by Ben!

Eileen

PS I love these posts seeing these pups growing up.

·
Premium Member
14,224 Posts
My goodness, I just love Rusti's head - majestic!!!!

Both are lovely looking boys, but there does seem to be quite a big difference between them.....

It will be very interesting to see them both together when they are both fgrown and fully mature

Eve Neo and Bramble

·
Registered
6,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not sure if you can see it, but I think looking at this pic (Rusti on the far right & Finn next to him) you can see Rusti is more solid looking and bigger boned. He's also got more of a "barrel" shaped chest compared to Finn.

The other interesting difference is that Finn has quite a thick, furry coat whilst Rusti's is a thinner, much shorter coat.

Sorry about the pic sizes, I uploaded them in the wrong size :oops:

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
Just to comment on the coat differences though Nikki.

Pepper's coat is not as dense as Finn and Rufus. Rather a surprise considering he sleeps outside in kennels, and at the time both Finn and Rufus were indoor dogs. It is one of the things we all noticed when they came to stay at the end of May. And I have to say it was one of the ways I could tell the difference between them when they were galloping away from us, as Rufus and Finn had lots of feathering on the back end. So it may well be that has nothing to do with the extra show blood.

·
Registered
6,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I agree Jill, the coat thing probably has nothing to do with the show blood, it was just an interesting difference as I would have expected Rusti to have the thicker coat, not Finn.

In my limited experience the show type labs have always had much thicker, denser coats compared to the working types.

I must say Rusti's coat is great though, very easy to groom and it dosen't shed half as much as Max did!

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Moj said:
Oh Nooooo..... does this mean I need to get a halfie half for next pup??? Is Rusti as whizzy as the fully trial bred pups are Nikki?
Next...pup...??

Have I missed something? Do share!!

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
it was certainly v interesting to see them together. Finn was rather dwarfed by rusti. They were a similar height but rusti has a larger chest and is broader and more bone than finn.
Finn's coat is def on the fluffy side as is rufus as jill said and those 2 are much harder to tell apart. Rusti has a coat just like his mum darcy.
Will have to continue having gt's and tracking the progress. Be interesting to see where sunni fits in too :)

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Nooooooo Kendra, you haven't missed a thing. I am absolutely NOT GETTING another dog (at the moment anyway :wink: ) Just musing about the future. Do fancy getting another pup from 8 weeks old in maybe 2 or 3 years time to train from scratch for khaki malarky purposes :wink:

Need to marry a rich man before then and also move house!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts