Labradors Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't given Lilly many bones in the past - she is sick on the rawhide bones that we get from the petshop and I tend to give her a raw bone in the summer when she can chew it in the garden.

What bones are the best? Marrowbones. I saw on an earlier thread Tarrismore recommended chicken carcases. If I was to go my local butcher, what bone is the best?

Thankyou. xx

·
Registered
8,453 Posts
Hi Jules,

Chicken carcasses/wings are great and form a large part of the raw food I give my girls, because they are the right proportion meat/bone/fat etc, and contain a higher level of essential fatty acids than either lamb or beef. But if you're giving a treat, and want to give bones a couple of times a week, I'd suggest lamb mainly, with the occasional beef marrow bone (better if you can ascertain whether it was from a younger animal with softer bones), as lamb bones aren't as dense as beef marrow bones, so won't wear their teeth down as quickly. Having said that, mine are through lamb bones nearly as quickly as chicken bones they're so used to them!!

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Chicken carcasses/wings are great and form a large part of the raw food I give my girls, because they are the right proportion meat/bone/fat etc, and contain a higher level of essential fatty acids than either lamb or beef
Now I'm confused ... I know that chicken contains omega 6, but not omega 3 or 9. And I'm not aware that lamb or beef contain any EFA's.

Lizi, Tilly & Beau

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Thanks for the link, I'm already familiar with this website.

But there is no mention of EFA levels on any of the 'Nutritional Values of ...' pages, so I'm still none the wiser :?

Lizi, Tilly & Beau

·
Registered
8,453 Posts
If you google 'efa levels raw chicken', or similar, it comes up with a number of websites Lizi, I don't know if any of them will be any help?

Apols for the confusion re the 'essential fatty acids', it's just the way it's written as plural but refers to Omega 6 in the literature I had to hand, it's just one of those things that can be worded either way I think??

·
Registered
32 Posts
same here :? i was told by the vet for my last dog that dogs shouldnt have bones because thay cant digest them and if thay eat sharp bits thay can do damage

·
Registered
8,453 Posts
Cooked bones shouldn't be fed to dogs, raw bones are fine. A dog's digestive system is very efficient at dealing with bones, so as long as you introduce them to it in the right way, let their system get used to the occasional chicken wing, they cope with them absolutely fine. And if you wanted to introduce other bones, lamb and beef, once they're used to chicken they usually cope absolutely fine with these too.

Next time your vet tells you such a lot of nonsense, just ask him what he thinks they dogs have actually evolved to eat? By the time they've developed an opposable thumb to use a tin opener, they'd be extinct :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
i give mine cow's femoral.(only the end /round part)
in my opinion it has the very best hardness.
it is enough porose, so they eat it all up.
but it is hard enough for cleaning the teeth and not eating it to fast

·
Registered
8,453 Posts
If I fed my two cow bones only, particularly not knowing whether they're from an older animal with harder, denser bones, I don't think they'd have much left of their teeth by now Evelyn. I think they're good as an occasional treat, although can cause a stomach upset for dogs that aren't used to raw bones, with the marrow being quite rich (I think a couple of people on here remove the marrow before feeding), but they shouldn't form a large part of a fully raw diet, not in my opinion anyway. And I only let mine have a cow bone for about half an hour, before popping it back in the freezer, they're both very good about giving their bones up, although Indie's expression is a corker!!!

I

·
0 Posts
Tarimoor_Art said:
Next time your vet tells you such a lot of nonsense, just ask him what he thinks they dogs have actually evolved to eat? By the time they've developed an opposable thumb to use a tin opener, they'd be extinct :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hahahaha that made me smile. I heard a remark (about raw bones AND raw meat being dangerous) the other day and I muttered "makes you wonder how on earth they survived to become pets." "Oh but my vet said this..." was the reply.

Funnily enough they buy their dog's food from the vet. :roll:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts