Labradors Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just finished reading 'How to Speak Dog' by Stanley Coren. Which was suggested by RosieW sometime in Feb.

I just thought I'd let everyone what a great book this is.

The author goes through how to interpret animals body language, barking etc and I must say I was really fascinated by it. Some training techniques are included eg: how to stop a dog from barking.

A lot of the book just goes to show me how we often misinterpret signals from our dogs. It also showed me how much attention we actually do pay to our dogs because a lot of it I just knew without ever having thought about it. The way we interpret some of our dogs barks to be hunger/ attention/ warning. It includes ways in which we unconsciously train them and it includes a 'dictionary' at the back to interpret ears/ eyes/ sounds and body positioning.

Fascinating book and a must for anyone interested in understanding and speaking doggish :lol:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi Amandajvv,
So glad you enjoyed the book. It is a fascinating subject isn't it? Have you read Turid Rugaas' Calming Signals book? There is also a video, same title. I think you would also enjoy them.

Rosie

1 - 3 of 3 Posts