Labradors Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we chose Nettle my Hubby said he wanted some puppies and in my ignorance I went along with his idea. However since reading the posts on this sight I realize just how wrong that would be for us. We have nowhere near the knowledge or experience. The posts have really made us think about breeding and it is definitely something we would not put our little girl through. The point of only breeding to improve the breed is something that has really stuck with me. Many many thanks x

·
Registered
674 Posts
When we were looking for a pup we were shocked at some of the people who had become breeders, in the end we found a wonderful reputable breeder who had X-rays of both parents hips and elbows, results of thorough eye exams and I realised then what a serious business breeding is. We decided to have Chewy spayed based on our experience.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it can be a minefield, thankfully we bought Nettle from the same breeder who we bought Jasper from 7 years ago, who is lovely we wouldn't go anywhere else. Can I ask what age you got Chewy Spayed. We will be having Nettle done too but the advice as to when seems conflicting. Many thanks

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
I'm looking at starting the health tests for both my youngsters this year, but to be quite honest, I'm not sure I want to in many ways. It*s a lot of cost, hassle, and stress, and I don't like the thought of putting either of my young bitches at risk. Between the two of them there are over 10 health tests! Added to that, finding the *right* stud dog, bearing in mind where you want to be for the next litter, not just the one you're planning, and looking through all the lines, health tests etc. Don*t get me wrong, I enjoy it immensely, and am in touch with all the owners of the pups from Tau*s litter, but I personally find it equally as stressful. I think added to that, my one litter of pups so far was a nightmare, emergency c-section on a Sunday morning, and losing two pups wasn*t an easy experience!

·
Registered
674 Posts
When we were looking for a pup we were shocked at some of the people who had become breeders, in the end we found a wonderful reputable breeder who had X-rays of both parents hips and elbows, results of thorough eye exams and I realised then what a serious business breeding is. We decided to have Chewy spayed based on our experience.

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
I bought a super puppy years ago and got all the health checks done etc, she duly went to stud and was in pup. When she whelped we had 2 puppies born normally and 1 by Caesarian, the pups were just great and Mum did them so well.
The trouble came when they had been advertised by the stud dogs owner as coming up for sale as she didn't have any at the time so forwarded on my details, I had endless calls for days, many from seemingly unscrupulous people, as I was asked for 3 bitches one of each colour! (I felt a future puppy farmer). I had people coming to the house wanting one, there was no let up for days at one stage.
In the end I sold the 2 males and kept the only female, I hadn't intended to keep one at all, but my Mother in law sat me down one day and told me I would regret it if I sold her. How much would 1 extra dog cost she asked, she said she wasn't judging me just advising. I told my husband and he said its up to me, so we kept her.
All bitches we have since bought or rescued and have spayed each one, breeding is not for me!

·
Registered
674 Posts
We had Chewy spayed at 8 months. She recovered very well as was only really miserable for one day. I did so much research and was so confused as to when to get it done but I'm glad we had it done when we did - she hadn't had a season by 8 months.

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
Please wait until she's at least a year old before getting her spayed. Recent research has highlighted all sorts of potential problems caused by spaying earlier. Ideally the spay should be carried out mid way between her seasons so it could mean waiting until after her second one.

·
Registered
674 Posts
What are the health problems of getting them spayed before 1 year? Should I be worried about Chewy? We got her done then on the advice of our vet.

·
Registered
674 Posts
What are the health problems of getting them spayed before 1 year? Should I be worried about Chewy? We got her done then on the advice of our vet.

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
You are stacking the odds that health problems may occur, not guaranteeing they will necessarily. You are also stacking the odds against a couple of health problems occurring, but a smaller number, and the one most often quoted is mammary tumours.

Spaying before they are physically mature, which is before 18 months of age approx, can increase the risk of other cancers, and also, removing the hormones they go through to reach adult hood, and sexual maturity, can prevent the natural release of hormones which tell them when to stop growing basically. That can then lead to conformation related injuries.

I wouldn't beat yourself up about it, many people routinely spay their bitches earlier than the current advice, and never have a problem, it's just the odds are now stacking up to allow them to mature that bit more.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We may well wait until after a year or maybe after her first one about halfway between. I am going to see how she copes with the first one and decide then. We tried to leave Jasper until a year to be castrated but only managed 10 months as he was getting very sexy with everyone and the children were younger then. If she copes well we will probably wait till after the second but if she struggles or seems unhappy with it all after the first. Will of course be advised by our vet too.

·
Premium Member
3,748 Posts
Such a shame that vets continue to bang on to clients about getting their bitches spayed at such a young age. It's not helped when rescues enforce early neutering either!

I appreciate that it prevents any unwanted litters but that would be the ONLY reason to get it done before first season. Surely any possible health and growth issues which could result in spaying too early should be considered far more important !

I wonder how many vets actually neuter their own dogs before they have reached maturity??????

Chloe

1 - 13 of 13 Posts