Labradors Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Thor is almost a year old - where has that time gone !? Anyway this past month he has had the random itchy bottom issue again where he scoots, it's not every day and even more recently his farts are nuclear and can make your eyes water 8O
Also his poops are mostly chopstickable but then suddenly we have a an awful double bagger + kitchen roll to even get it off the ground type poop and they go back to normal all in once day. But there is no time pattern with this. I've not changed his diet that I can think of, he has the same food twice a day which he's had since a pup and has been on the adult version since August-ish and a kong with a little kibble in around lunch time. He used to randomly get an ear to chew on but I stopped those a week ago to see if that was the cause. But no difference so far.
For the rest he seems perfectly healthy and happy, just a bit of a iffy tum at times :?

Before I go to see the vet, is there anything else I should try ?

Thanks

Groetjes

Emma

·
Registered
315 Posts
I would go get his glands checked as well, might be that, or might be something he is getting in his diet that is making him upset, something other that his food perhaps

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Get a 3 day poo sample (poo collected on 3 consecutive days)checked by the vet - what you describe sounds typical of giardia. Random (usually very foul smelling)diarrhoea, horrendous wind....

I wouldn't fiddle with his diet unless the sample comes back clear.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help :)

The training treats he has are the same as we always use, I'm just translating what it says directly on the tub so apologies if it sounds odd, but I see grain, meat and animal bi-products (depending on taste, chicken, lamb or tripe) vegetable, protein extracts.
There are colorings and conservation stuff too but apparently that's approved by the EG whatever that may mean !?

But he doesn't eat these by the bucket load, this is more my well done for sitting down and not licking all the school children as they walk by , and also for dog school where I also try not give them by the bucket load and that is once a week..
I've stopped him having anything else for the past 7 days to see if I can narrow down what it is, so we're down to kibble and these treats right now, hmm quite odd..

Lady I walk with suggested no treats and no kibble for a few days and go down the rice and fish route to see if that helps clear him up .. The vet clinic is open tomorrow morning as a drop in so perhaps I should pop in and get them to check him out. I feel a bit of a fraud as he seems quite his usual self ..

·
Premium Member
21,240 Posts
Sometime it can be a process of elimination, it could very well be anal glands, it could be diet.

If when you take him to your vets they say his anal glands are fine then it can be down to diet.

Bean came to us on Burns and Nature Diet wet, both decent foods in the grand scheme of things, he also had gravy bones. His poo was like foul smelling cow pats, this went on for a few weeks, he scooted, chewed his bum and the base of his tail and after a vet check glands were ruled out.

After switching him to a totally non carb/grain diet (we went RAW) and using dried fish skins, tripe all of the problems stopped. If he has anything containing grain or wheat the poo goes sloppy again.

Sometimes the only way to discover the cause is to go back to basic food groups for a few weeks and see how you get on and slowly add a group back in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts