Labradors Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were out walking yesterday and came across a spaniel. Our two and the spaniel had a great time chasing each other and playing about. After a few minutes Monty suddenly stopped an lay down. We called him over and he very tentatively walked over almost trying to tuck his bum down whilst walking.

When he got to us he lay down and had a whine for about 30 seconds. Then 2 mins later another dog came past and he was up again showing absolutely no pain and wanting to play. We popped him on his lead to stop him running around but seemed absolutely fine so we took him off again (we didn't let him go chasing or running around though, just walk or trot about with us).

We are worried as he has never done this before and we're hoping it's nothing major. It wasn't an intense run or play that caused it. So he wasn't exercising to his limit which caused a problem. We're hoping he just knocked something or pulled something which turned out fine after he'd walked it off (as humans do).

His behaviour of coming over and lying down next to is whilst out on a walk is a first though and very disconcerting! Has anyone experienced this or have any ideas?

Also there was no limping and no sign of an injury whatsoever after the initial lay down.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Coming and lying down beside you was probably his way of asking for help because something was happening that he didn't understand and was scaring him a bit. You are his security.

He certainly could have temporarily injured himself in some way. But I'm wondering if this could possibly have been due to Exercise Induced Collapse (episodes are said to frequently happen due to excitement/play as much as actual exercise).

I wouldn't worry about it too much at this time - but if it should ever happen again then it may be a good idea to have Monty DNA tested for EIC - just in case.

http://www.vdl.umn.edu/ourservices/canineneuromuscular/eic/taylor2008/home.html

The test requires a simple cheek swab and costs around $65.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
From a totally unqualified perspective I'd say you've nothing to worry about!!

I rushed Judy to the vets in the Cotswolds once when I was convinced she had seriously damaged her tail swinging on some rope hanging from a tree. She fell off, onto her bum and came over very sheepish and looked really worried.

We found it was absolutely nothing - as noted above, something odd had happened and she was just a bit scared / confidence knocked!

As ever, keep a close eye for a couple of days. Any change or concerns in that period then straight down the vets!!!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks very much for your replies.

I've read up on EIC and although he did come a lay down next to me with no apparent cause that's probably as far as it goes symptom-wise. I will definitely keep an eye open for it but the laying down was instantaneous and the recovery was instantaneous whilst EIC often has an obvious lameness prior to the event and a longish recovery time with obvious disorientation. But if it ever happens again I now know what to look out for and a trip to the vets will follow immediately.

I'm pretty sure it was a one off and it just knocked his confidence. If he cuts a pad or is limping then there's an obvious injury I think it just worried me as there were no obvious signs and he lay down next to me which he never does even with a limp or a cut (you can't stop him bounding around on it). It's the first time in 2 1/2 years he has ever seeked reassurance from me when out an about (he often does it if he's been sick and is feeling sorry for himself at home) but never out and about as he is far too interested in other things.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
My Lab has done this on a couple of occasions. Both times it was when he'd just run to catch his ball and I've put it down to pulling a muscle or over stretching. He kept laying down and looking back at his tummy obviously very uncomfortable but recovered within a few minutes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts