Labradors Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our little one (well not so little), Barney, has started teething this weekend. On Friday evening, about an hour and a half after his last meal, he was sick, bringing up all his last meal. He was OK in himself but thought that he was going to get into trouble and took to his bed for an hour or so. It was Saturday morning that we noticed that he'd lost one of his front teeth and another was slack. :roll:

On Sunday the slack tooth came out and he ate it and it "passed through". This morning, again, about an hour and a half after breakfast, he was sick again. We've also noticed that his eyes seem to be a bit more runny than usual.

Are we being paranoid, or could this all be connected to the teething. The vet doesn't seem to think so and said to keep an eye on him, but a friend who has a labbie who's a few years old now, seems to remember her dog was sick when teething. Is this normal? :?

However, just to throw a spanner in the works, we notice that he does eat his food very quickly, mostly without chewing (dried food), but surely if the eating too quick was the problem he would be sick much sooner after the meal ??????

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hi Gordon
we notice that he does eat his food very quickly, mostly without chewing
well that's all perfectly normal - he is a lab after all :D :lol:
I must admit I can't remember having experienced sickness and runny eyes with teething. As the vet said, keep an eye on him. It may be worth softening his food while he's teething, although from what you've said he doesn't seem to have lost his appetite.
Hope he's better soon. :)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hi Gordon

Molly is also loosing teeth at present (tend to come out in 2's mirroring either side of the mouth and grow back remarkably quickly).

Whilst she was teething, she was definately quiter in herself, however I didn't experience runny nose / eyes. I would also recommend to soften the food for a few days.

Good luck

Regards

Mark

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi lablover :wink:

well that's all perfectly normal - he is a lab after all :D :lol:
I must admit I can't remember having experienced sickness and runny eyes with teething. As the vet said, keep an eye on him. It may be worth softening his food while he's teething, although from what you've said he doesn't seem to have lost his appetite.
Hope he's better soon. :)
Forgot to mention that he has just been weened over from beta puppy food to hills science plan natures best. We took a week to wean him over and hes now been on the food a week. Seems to have taken to natures best very well. Could be possible the changover may have had somthing to do with it :? We have been softening his food since yesterday and fingers crossed hes been ok :wink:

Barneys eyes are still a bit weepey but we will give a few more days as it could either be him teething or been on the beech everyday for his walk were it has been a bit cold.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Mark

Molly is also loosing teeth at present (tend to come out in 2's mirroring either side of the mouth and grow back remarkably quickly).

Whilst she was teething, she was definately quiter in herself, however I didn't experience runny nose / eyes. I would also recommend to soften the food for a few days.
We noticed how they come out in pairs :shock: but we were even more shocked at how the new ones have come through :lol: . Barney has been his usual mad self while teething, hasn't bothered him at all which seemed strange why hes been sick. We softened his food last night and so far so good only problem is he wants to share the softened food with you :lol: he has it everywhere but i suppose hes a typical lab :D

·
Registered
193 Posts
Molly lost her first tooth last night,
It looks like the second tooth was almost completely though, and just pushed the other one out!
she has another ready to go, exactly above this one.
She has been slightly subdued, but not a lot different!

bless her

·
Registered
168 Posts
I was looking at Molly's new teeth last night (they are all pretty much through), and as they are so white and relatively large, she looks like she's been to Hollywood for teeth whitening / straightening session .... I'm just waiting for the bill to come through!!!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Did you find that she was quiet during teething?
Molly seems to be subdued, and more willing to collapse on the floor asleep at the moment, she's plenty of energy if you start playing with her, or when she initially sees you. and is eating fine, so I'm not overly worried

·
Registered
168 Posts
Molly was certainly quieter and slept more whilst teething. Like (your) Molly, she would get up and play, but if not directly entertained, she tended to lay in her bed as opposed to walking around.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts