Labradors Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
21,294 Posts
Oh yes, quite normal.
I wrote this a while back:-

About 8 weeks old a change occurs, the root of the puppy teeth start to atrophy, literally dissolve away, and the adult teeth start to form inside the gums. By around 12 weeks much of the root has gone and the teeth start to fall out, meanwhile the adult tooth has been growing away inside the gum and starts to break through the gum to become visible. If you look at the canine teeth, they are so much longer than the other teeth, so their root needs to be longer to stand the leverage exerted on them, so it stands to reason that the root takes longer to dissolve, which is the reason they are always the last to drop!

It's not unusual for the adult canine to grow beside the puppy canine. This is caused because of the change in shape of the head as the puppy grows, the nose getting longer. I've known them hang on for a long time before dropping. But eventually the root will atrophy and it WILL drop.

People get worried, thinking that because the adult canine has missed the puppy tooth it wont push it out. But in fact that's not what happens. If you look at a puppy tooth you would have noticed it has no root! Obviously it did have a root earlier on or they would have fallen out the first time the pup had solid food!

Isn't nature wonderful how it works!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Our boy Jagger has had bleeding from his gums this weekend, and he has brought me this tooth this afternoon is this normal, I hate to see him suffering x
Wonderful that Jagger is clever enough to bring you his tooth! Jas now has most of her 2nd teeth coming through, bleeding has eased off and so has the puppy biting - hurrah 😄

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wonderful that Jagger is clever enough to bring you his tooth! Jas now has most of her 2nd teeth coming through, bleeding has eased off and so has the puppy biting - hurrah 😄
He has brought me another two today he brings them and puts them on my knee bless him, oh I will be very relieved if his puppy biting stops 🤣😂 xx

·
Registered
72 Posts
He has brought me another two today he brings them and puts them on my knee bless him, oh I will be very relieved if his puppy biting stops 🤣😂 xx
It does go on a bit doesn't it? Jas is 6 months next week, still occasionally bites me if overexcited but looks very guilty afterwards 🤣🤣🤣 she is much more able to mouth gently now .
I think it's lovely that he brings you his teeth, Jas never did that 🙂

·
Administrator
21,294 Posts
The adult teeth, being larger and not so pointed dont hurt like the puppy teeth. Chloe used to love to play "Bitey Face" with Amy, but since Amy has gone she's learnt a new game, "Bitey Fingers" with me. I have to admit it's a lovely game! I know it's a terrible photo but. . . . . .

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It does go on a bit doesn't it? Jas is 6 months next week, still occasionally bites me if overexcited but looks very guilty afterwards 🤣🤣🤣 she is much more able to mouth gently now .
I think it's lovely that he brings you his teeth, Jas never did that 🙂
He is so loving, wouldn't be without him 😍 labs are literally the best xxxx

1 - 8 of 8 Posts