Labradors Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

My 6 month old chocolate Lab puppie has lost all of his teeth apart from the last canine.
The new tooth has already grown through but the old one will not budge the new one is behind the old one. The old tooth has a crack in it and has also gone brown, I think this is due to it not being conected to a blood supply this tooth is wobberly but will not come out.
Shall I just leave it and give Bean some aid with chews, carrots, and dry food etc or shall I take him to the vets as I really do not want this tooth getting infected and causing a huge problem.

Any advise will be very much appricated.

Regards

Sarah and Bean XX

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hi Sarah

I took Buster to the vets when both his canines hadn't come out (the new ones were through) and the vet said to leave them until he was neutered.

I gave him frozen carrots and that did that trick, they were out within a week. Having said that they were still pefect so it might be as well to take Bean to the vets just to check it out.

Kev

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
I've got exactly the same thing with Corbie who is also 6 months old.

His last canine is on the outside of the new one, is darker and wobbly and the new canine is growing on the inside of it. It's not all the way out yet though so hoping a few more chews on it and it will come out on his own. I was looking at it last night and wobbling it.

How do they take them out, as I'm loathed to have to let Corbie has any anaesthetic, especially for something so small?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hi Karen

They do use anaethestic I'm afaid.That's why the vet said to wait until Buster was neutered.

Kev

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
That's a pain. Corbie's not being neutered. As I said though the canine is still growing so hopefully it will push the old one out. Another only came out last week so fingers crossed!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for your replys. I will give it another week and feed him lots of fozon carrots. It is his 6 month check up next Friday so if the tooth is still there I will ask the vet to look and it.

Many Thanks

Sarah

Kev said:
Try the carrots then Karen ( I know you use them) it worked for Buster :wink:

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
Let me know what happens, I may have to go the same route!

Corbie doesn't get any check ups, so I'll keep feeding him those carrots :D If that doesn't work he'll be back at the vets where Im sure they'll all remember him from the sponge eating incident last month :oops: :lol:

·
Administrator
20,705 Posts
The problem with the canines is that as they are pointed, and because of the uneven growth pattern of the jaw it is easy for the point of the new tooth to miss the root of the old. That means that the new tooth does not push the old one out as efficiently as the other teeth. So often the new canine will grow beside the old, but as it grows, and the base gets bigger it gradually crowds the old one out. Although this happens so often there is rarely a problem and particularly if the tooth is wobbly you can be pretty sure you will get up one morning and find it gone.

Regards, John

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Well Ben is now 9 months and he still has a baby (canine) tooth and it is stuck fast..lol It does not wobble and it has been there for ages now. Our vet said they are keeping an eye on it and if it has still not budged by next month then they will think about removing it. Ben has had alsorts to try and shift it but it looks like it is going no where fast... :roll:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts