Labradors Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All :p

My Chocolate Lab Bean, is 14 weeks old nearly 15 and he has started teething, he is right grumpy bugger at the min, mind you i dont blame him.

I havent found any teeth, the poor little thing is all gummy.
Bean is really biting at the min esecially me and my partner infact any thing he can swing off, is this part of teething and how long does this nornally last? any tips?

Many Thanks

sarah, Bean and Matt. X :lol:

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
Corbie started losing teeth recently also and I found one of them, so small!

I made sure he had lots to chew on and putting a wet teatowel knotted at the ends in the freezer makes a good cold chew for those sore gums! :D

·
Registered
168 Posts
Molly was a little quieter than usual when she was teething. We gave her plenty of toys to chew on, and softened her food with a little water to help keep any pain down. That said, losing teeth did not deter her at all on the food front!!!.

Also, I was surprised as to how quickly her "adult" teeth came through; they were pretty much showing under the gum, and came through over a couple of days.

Now all her "adult" teeth are through, they look too white like something out of Charlies Angels!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for both of your replys they are very helpful.
How long does the teething process take? and will the biting ( Hopefully ) stop after he has all his new teeth?

Sarah X

·
Registered
21 Posts
I made sure he had lots to chew on and putting a wet teatowel knotted at the ends in the freezer makes a good cold chew for those sore gums! :D[/quote]

That sounds like a really good idea... I'm off to try it now! Our Chad is just over 5 months old... and still has a few teeth to come through... and he sure does love to chew!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Sarah

Molly's teething took about 3 months in total .... my daughters had great delight who could find the most teeth (one imbedded in my slipper, another in her soft toy, a couple on the kitchen floor) .. we still have them in an envelope for keeps sake ... anyway I digress.

The biting does not stop after teething, other than the adult teeth are less sharp, and you'll find your hands will have a chance to recoat themselves with skin!!!.

Lablover (I think) posted some very useful threads / sites on how to handle biting ... I'll try to find them and revert.

Good luck

Mark.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Scooby is now just over 20 weeks, and he's still loosing his teeth. I must admit before he started teething, we were just teaching him not to bite hard and he was doing very well. Now though as more teeth come out, he does tend to bite and chew more. :D

We have used the tea towel in the freezer, but the best thing that we found to help him is Ice cubes. Scooby will chomp on these for ages, mind you they don't last very long, but he loves them and being cold they cool down his gums aswell.

He's still got some to come out, but i found that yelping every time he goes to bite me, or places his teeth on me, makes him think twice. My hubby does think that i'm a little mad, yelping at the top of my voice, but it stops Scooby in his tracks! :) Maybe try that and see if it'll help along with plenty of toys for them to chew on.

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
Corbie O.D's on ice cubes - he even knows the words!!

To make them last longer, instead of using the ice cube trays, get a small plastic bowl (or anything similar that is easy to get ice out of, an empty magarine tub for example) and fill the bottom of it with an inch of water and put in the freezer instead - makes a great huge block of ice for them to chew on ...

Warning if you have wooden/laminate floors anywhere in the house like I do, it can easily send you flying or smash into your ankles when they start throwing it about so watch out! And if they get bored, and leave it, you'll find a large wet puddle on the floor :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks Karen, That's a great idea. I've also tried him with the ice cube bobbing, and that went down a storm aswell. Although again they never lasted long. Just when i thought that he couldnt make anymore mess with water, he goes and proves me wrong :lol: Still anything that will help right?! :D

·
Registered
193 Posts
yup I can vouch for the ice cubes on a wooden floor trick they like to play!..
Molly tends to push it around with her nose, until it goes under the sofa...then she'll try to climb under it to get hold of it!.

Also we use a Kong that we put a combo of grapes and water in that we freeze, Molly spends hours making weird sucking noises with it!

Molly is still teething, and her teeth look far too big for her mouth at the moment, especially when she's panting...very funny!

·
Registered
353 Posts
I first noticed my Scooby was teething when I happened to notice that a front tooth was missing. He was 16 weeks.

I think the last ones to come through are the canine teeth and they came last week - 22 weeks old.

The only difference I noticed was that his dental chew bone lasted him 2 days instead of 10 minutes!! He also spat about 3 teeth on my lap at different times!!

Anyway, now he is definitely putting his new teeth to use and is ripping and chewing his toys and bones in no time. I think they are all practically destroyed now!!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Molly has a carrot mid evening and loves them ... healthy treat and keeps her busy for 20 minutes whilst trying to lick the leftovers off the floor... she she first starts eating it, she often looks like winston churchill, but with an orange cigar hanging out her mouth!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts