Labradors Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

I really would love a lab but having never had a dog before there's a part of me which is a bit scaredy-cat about finally making the commitment!I've seen a few labs now and all except one were bonkers (they WERE around the 18mo - 2 yr mark though)

The last one I saw was 2 yrs old and very quiet/subdued. Maybe a tad too much so. I would ideally like a dog somewhere in between if that doesnt sound too fussy. One which is gentle but has a goofy side every now and again...

What would you guys recommend? I dont feel Ive the expertise for a pup at this point.

Hope I dont sound too much of a dork!!

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
HIYA LABNEWBIE :) welcome to the forums

of course you dont sound like a dork :)

most labs are mental in some way..lol..the ages you are picking are nice ages they are still in there sorta puppyish stages you wont have the lil accidents on carpet and such,..some may even be trained a little..

labs make great companions im not that good on saying what type of dog you need because the dogs you see could act differently once you get them home and they settle into your routine ..

when you buy a lab consider what they need ie:
plenty of excerise..good diet..good training or basic like mine..lol..your company..a garden (but i know ppl can take them out all the time) a lab proof house..lol..reason being labs are know to chew..lol..although NOT all labs do but thre is that possiblity..also can you afford vets bills if they become ill..do you want a male or female will you be spaying them?? do you have the space?
if you can offer all the above then you are on the right tracks there is some i probably havent mention but more experience ppl will offer you more advice..my labs are just good ol family pets..lol..

labs have mad half hours well ok most of the day mad half hours..lol..
the age you are picking is still rather puppyish so they will still be running round mad think of them as children..lol.
i wish you look in your search for a lab let us know how you get on :):)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Claire...Hmm, maybe I'm better going for a 3-4 y o? On the subject of lab-proofing your house, the bad news is I have pale carpets and pale furniture. The good news is I have wooden floors in my hall and a porch to dry off/clean muddy paws.

What do you guys do about this sort of thing? I mean dirty paw-cleaning, doggy smells, hair shedding, chewing etc etc? In other words is it still possible to have a reasonably pristine-ish house and STILL have a lab?

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
LOL.. erm honestly no..lol..

if you are houseproud dont get a lab...

lab will get dirty but you can wash em as for your pale furniture easily sorted by putting a throw cover on them but thats if you allow your dog on the furniture (my dogs rule the furniture..lol) as for the pale carpets well if they get dirty clean em..lol..most ppl say a good hoover for the dog fur..

my lab is 6yrs old and sometimes i still catch her chewing but not as bad when she was younger..lol..im getting that now with rosze who is 7 1\2 mnths..lol..

if you really want a lab you will work round it go visit more labs go to lab rescue homes or like on here ask loads more questions that you are unsure off...

but i cant guarantee a dogs behaviour they are all so different some good some naughty..lol..the older dog you get the more set in his/her ways are but again you can train them to your ways

as for chewing get plenty of toys they can chew on doggy smells i use airfreshner gels but then my dogs are bathed so its not to bad..lol..

write a list good and bad about owning a lab and see how that comes out :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good idea about writing a list...I'm happy to work around a dog, just need to arm myself with as many tips about living with a lab as possible sa as to keep at least a semblance of normality!!

...how often do you bathe your dogs? Do they enjoy it? I was thinking about doing it outside (summer months only!) with a hose - is this mad?

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
lol.. i only bath them when they are covered in mud as for the hose its not mad at all brandy is to heaver for me to lift so summer she gets hosed and loves it..lol..and yes they love the water..lol

·
Registered
38 Posts
hiya..

I am 'labnewbie' too lol... I have Piper who is 7 weeks old tomorrow,and although I spend most my time taking her outside..saying weewees and 'no' in abundance,oh and not foregtting taking things off her she isnt meant to have and giving her one of her own toys.. i wouldn't change a thing lol...

She is cute..gorgeous,full of life and character..funny..etc etc.. which far outweighs the 'niggly' bits about her,she is no different to how Angel (my german shepherd) was when she was a pup.(although I am sure that Piper is cheekier ;) )..

Homing ANY type of dog is challenging,but after being around dogs all my life,I wouldnt be without one.

I know a couple of people who have labs,the one of which I always smile about is George..he is big..he smiles ;) and when you go to visit he brings you the first thing he can find.. could be a shoe,,kiddies toys lol.. he doesnt chew them,just feels the need to bring you a gift whatever it may be..

I have never known a horrible lab..mad ones lol..but not horrible, I think a lab would be good choice for temperament,and this forum is great for picking up tips on how to alleviate those not so desirable traits.

Let us know when you get a dog..whether its a lab or not,but most importantly..enjoy it :eek:)

Take care..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts