Labradors Forums banner

Tatze's season - a question

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Coco-Loco 
#1 ·
On the first day there were lots of pink drips all over the floor and some on the second day.

Now there are none. Is it just that she is cleaning herself better? - she is licking herself a lot.

I worry that I've read the signs all wrong and she hasn't really started at all!

Her vulva is very swollen and he bum looks 'big', she's walking with her tail slightly lifted and keeps asking to go out (not to wee).

Her behaviour has been good. I have got extra chews and give her a filled kong a three times a day. With garden play and training sessions she's doing fine.

But I can't help niggling that I'm keeping her in too soon!

:?

#2 ·
I take it you are now on the 3rd Day? When a bitch starts ovulating during the season she will not bleed, so timing is very important.

That said some bitches are cleaner than others and you may not notice any drips on the floor so put a light coloured towel/sheet on her bed and see if there are any spots of blood on it.

#3 ·
I also wondered if I had misread things at first, and then i found another drip. Every so often I dab her with a damp bit of kitchen towel to check if she is still going. We are now on Day 13 and the discharge is much clearer, but still going... She has begun whining a lot more and wanting out, though not for anything in particular. Her nipples have just enlarged in the last few days too.

#4 ·
Perfectly normal ;-)

She is in season ;-) Shes just a clean girl and obviously her flow isn't overly heavy. just like us, they do vary, even from season to season.

If yoou definately saw blood for 2 days, she IS in season.

Approximately:

days 1 - 10/11 loss of red blood varying amounts. Often only seen if they sleep on a white sheet... some write their name on walls in blood, some you see VERY VERY little. She will attract attention, she will throw boys in a spin, but she cannot get pregnant in the majority of cases (although some bitches, very few but SOME ovulate as early as day 7/8)

days 11 - 18 or so - this is thereal DANGER period. usually a almost total lack of discharge of any colour leads people to believe their bitch is out of season. Infact she is ovulating and could get pregnant in 20 seconds flat.

Days 18 - 28, she is still cycling and in season but some finish bleeding quicker than others. Some yoou never see a drip again when they 'stop bleeding about day 11' when they commence ovulation, some they drop till 22/23/24 very clearly... then tail off.

You probably could still walk her up till about day 5 or 6 in very quiet secluded places, rapidly removing yourself if yoou see ANY dog coming incase its a male, its probably too early to keeping her home entirely, but once 5/6 is gone I would ONLY suggest keeping a bitch on your property at home.

But the lack of visable blood is very common.

Some misjudge the start of a season based on just seeing little brown patches or one bit of slightly watery brown or dark red blood. But if you saw definate spotting over a couple of days.... shes in. ;-0

Di

#5 ·
Thank you so much Diana - yes, we definitely saw (lots of) spots of pink/red blood - not brown - on day one and early day two. She does wash herself a lot so maybe there is very little or maybe she's a very clean girl!

I will be referring to your post a few times in the next few weeks!

:)

#6 ·
The way I test my girls when they are coming in, is actually to get a clean piece of kitchen towel and push it into the folds of the vulva, because to be quite honest, I'd miss the beginning of their season as there's not as much discharge, and they then keep themselves very clean. It's normally when they're a few days in that I notice any spots of blood, again, *thankfully* with my lot, they are very clean, so any spotting is minimal.

#7 ·
Tarimoor said:
The way I test my girls when they are coming in, is actually to get a clean piece of kitchen towel and push it into the folds of the vulva, because to be quite honest, I'd miss the beginning of their season as there's not as much discharge, and they then keep themselves very clean. It's normally when they're a few days in that I notice any spots of blood, again, *thankfully* with my lot, they are very clean, so any spotting is minimal.
So maybe she is a few days in?

I was worried about using a tissue as I might introduce infection. I will try it now :)

#8 ·
If you use a clean piece of kitchen towel, and just press it against her lightly, that will show you if there's any discharge. Another *old trick* JohnW taught me years ago, was to put a light coloured throw on their bed or where they sleep. They generally lose a few drips after resting that you might miss if they clean them up :wink:

#9 ·
Keep an eye on her whilst she is in the garden - dogs might try to get in to join her and she might equally be feeling "in the mood" and want to go off in search of a boyfriend. I have heard stories of bitches becoming Houdini dogs in an attempt to find a partner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.