Labradors Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone
Can anyone give advice on how to stop my 9 month old Choc Labrador from eating my radiator valves and skirting boards. He has to be left for 3 hours in the morning and 2 in the afternoon but has daily walks and visits during the day which we pay someone to do. This started in November and is gettiing worse. He will chew even if the skirtings and heating valves arecovered in mustard or Chillie sauce.

He was rehomed to us from the Blue Cross at 14 weeks old and has been fine up until November. It is getting so bad that even though we love him dearly we just cannot stand the constant damage / cost / and heartach and are think perhaps their is a home better for him - but I really don't want to. Any advice would be great

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hi Rolo
Welcome to the forum.
Firstly, this is what labradors do - they are famous for it :D - particularly when left to their own devices - some are worse than others, but labs chew and chew and chew........ (don't worry they do eventually grow out of it).
On top of that, at 9 months he is entering his teenage 'kevin' stage - which can at times try the patience of a saint. Unfortunately, it is also the time when most labs are rehomed :(
When you say he has daily walks and visits, is that during the 3 and 2 hour periods that he is left, or is it during the break that he is taken out. I don't know what stipulations the Blue Cross have, but I help with lab rescue and we would not home a dog if it was going to be left more than four hours during the day.,
Firstly, he sounds like he needs some mental exercise - labs are intelligent dogs, and their brains need exercising as much as their bodies. Daily walks are obviously necessary, but do you play games / train him / go to classes in the evening when you get back. If he's left during the day, he will need plenty of attention in the evening.
You could leave him with a kong (preferably frozen), or a treat cube where they have to work out how to get the treat out.
Have you tried bitter apple (it may or may not work, but maybe worth a try).
If it was for a short time, I'd suggest a crate, but 5 hours is too long if it's on a regular basis.
HTH

·
Registered
125 Posts
We bought our crate for barney at 13 weeks when he was just starting to chew the furniture. We didnt want to do this as we thought it seemed a bit cruel, but he loves it :D We think he classes it as his den now. He isnt left that long in his crate so this seems a very good buy and would recomend it to anyone who dosent leave there lab for to long a period. It also helps with there potty training :lol:. Anybody investing in a crate make sure they have plenty of water and a good selection of toys to chew on :wink:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts