Labradors Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We took Tara to the Vet today.She has a sore on her leg which she continually licks.Anyway as we entered the Vets Tara put the brakes on,and was terrified of going in.She cowered in the corner.We think she remembered when we took her to be speyed and left her there.How can we make her visits to the Vets more enjoyable and not so stressed? Suggestions please. :? :?

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
Ask the vet/s if its ok to just drop in from time to time, take some treats and get the nurses to give Tara some along with some fuss but nothing else, hopefully this will help her realise that its not all bad on a vets visit.

Hope her leg is better soon :)

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
Twix HATES the vets with a passion as well, she absoutely shakes with fear :(

As I have other dogs, when Cori or Jana go to the vet, I take Twix along and she just gets fussed and therefore does not think that every time everything it is is bad news. So as Mary suggested, just phone your vet and explain, I am sure they will be happy to see Tara just popped in to get some fussing :D

·
Premium Member
11,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thankyou Mary and Linda,that is a very good idea will do that.Tara is on antibiotics for the leg.Thanks for your good wishes Mary.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Hmmm... we tried the "pleasant visit with no action and lots of treats (inc sausage bits :roll: ) for a period of months with the advice of the Practice "Pet Therapist".

Didn't work.

Last actual visit inside the vets (for annual jabs) she pee'd and poo'd much to her own embarrassment :oops: and I vowed I wouldn't do it to her again.

So what to do for the next annual jabs? Well actually it turned out we needed extended visits last September for sudden joint troubles, including acupunture.

BUT... we'd acquired a campervan, so the lovely vets were very happy to come out to the van and use it as a mobile clinic. Result? Dog slightly uneasy but quite OK to have needles in, thermometers you know where - whatever :D as long as she was on familiar territory.

And we're not long back from the annual jabs + KC up the nose, and what a happy dog :D :D :D

Now I'm not suggesting you get a camper van, but think about it - could it be worth a home visit????

·
Premium Member
11,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thankyou all of you for your help.It really does help having other people's views,and we are not alone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts